Respected Contributor

best small camera for travel

What is a good and inexpensive (under $200)  easy to use camera to take on vacation to europe?  We have tracfones so we need to take a camera and my current one is too large to carry around.

Honored Contributor

Re: best small camera for travel

As is often the case, the answer is, "It depends." There really hasn't been a lot of evolution in the smaller (under $200) point and shoot cameras lately. That's because most smart phones have similar, or better capabilities these days in that same price range. Since you're going overseas, you'll want either multiple pre-charged batteries, an overseas charger, or a camera that uses conventional AA or AAA batteries. Keeping everything charged when you're carrying phones, tablets, digital cameras, etc. can be challenging. A higher megapixel camera can give you higher resolution, but each photo also eats more space on the memory card. If you want to also shoot video on the trip, you'll really want extra memory. You can't really go wrong with Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Fuji cameras. All make very nice inexpensive cameras, each with certain pros and cons. It's easiest to buy a camera that uses conventional batteries (AA or AAA) since you can buy them everywhere and don't have to worry about recharging them. I'm not sure what kind of selection there is these days though of those types of cameras.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I've read on many blogs that you can rent cameras for vacations.

For me, I have found that I never look at the photos again after I go, so I'm sticking with my cell phone going forward.  I bought a great Fuji camera for the Grand Canyon and still have it, but I wouldn't drag it to Europe and carry it around all day.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

What is a good and inexpensive (under $200)  easy to use camera to take on vacation to europe?  We have tracfones so we need to take a camera and my current one is too large to carry around.

Check Amazon

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Canon Powershot

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any $50 & under digital cam from Kodak.  All are user friendly.  You do not need a PH.d to figure out the symbols.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

New Contributor

It all depends on the quality of the picture you want to receive. If you have a pretentious taste, you will have to take some kind professional camera. In any other case, I would advise you to choose something among small digital cameras. There are quite a few of them and they have quality is decent.

Respected Contributor

I didn't know some phones don't have a camera.   If you travel quite a bit, I'd just get a smart phone with a camera.  One less thing to carry around and they take fine pictures.  They come in all price ranges and you can get pre paid or monthly plans.

Honored Contributor

Do cell phones w/cameras still work overseas? I thought they did not.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Do cell phones w/cameras still work overseas? I thought they did not.

Yes.  It's a camera.  It doesn't require service.  The phone is still operable,  you just can't call or receive calls or text.  Unless you have international service.