Esteemed Contributor

Xtra-PC To Speed Slow Computer?

I ran across an article today about the Xtra-PC which fixes all the problems of a slow computer.  The article reads as follows:

It is a tiny, powerful flash drive that plugs into your computer's USB port.  Within seconds, it bypasses your old, slow operating system (Windows or Mac) and replaces it within a fully functional Linux operating system that's blazing fast and easy-to-use.

Includes all your favorite programs, Web browsing, email, docs, and spreadsheets, music, video players and more.

Keeps all existing files - Xtra-PC does not touch or modify your existing files in any way.

Broken or missing hard drive?  No problem.  If your hard drive is missing or corrupted you can now use your computer like normal.

The cost is $34.99.  Before I would consider something like this I decided to come here for information.  Is it a good thing or something to stay away from?  Before I would plug anything into my computer I want to be sure it will do as advertised.  Your opinions and knowledge will help me decide which way to go.  Thanks everyone.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Re: Xtra-PC To Speed Slow Computer?

You know how to use Linux?  Are you programs compayible?  If you want your computer to run like new, do a backup or save everything you can't afford to lose and do a reset to factory condition. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just for me, since I know I can not figure Linux, I would not go near this.

i know some one who programs for a chip maker who built out his PC to do things that are not ready for prime time and he swears by it.

You are aware this thing will use Linux?

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't plug something into my computer that only has a 2.4 average rating on Amazon. Try using the free tools that are part of your operating system first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4002019/windows-10-improve-pc-performance

xtra.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

@Caffeina

@Still Raining

@glb613

I appreciate each response which made it clear to me to stay away from the Xtra-PC.  When it comes to computers I definitely will not do something I know nothing about without first coming here on the Electronics forum.  Thanks to all of you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

i dont go for such risk.

Esteemed Contributor

We work on chrome books which get to the Internet very fast. Lately we have been having problems getting into our email and just getting on to the work we do at home online. Comcast never told us we were entitled to a updated modem. [another pet peeve I have with them.] We did our own checking into our settings and learned our gateway to the internet was slow and did not support our new devices. My point here is check your internet connection to see if you have the fastest way to the internet.