Valued Contributor

Now that Windows 10 has been around for eight months now, how do users feel about it?  I'm entitled to the free upgrade on my April 2015 Dell TSV laptop, but I'm still on the fence and haven't upgraded yet.  I'm tolerating Windows 8.1 but wondering if 10 is worth it.  TIA!

Trusted Contributor

@Brooklynny------I went to 10 and wish I had my 8.1 or 8 back.  Lost game sights we were on and have so much trouble.  We don't have any idea what the h we are doing.  I guess if you are into the computer and know some of the ins and outs, you would be fine.  We don't do anything fancy, like making cards, sending things to the cloud, Office, etc. just have played games, checked email and on facebook.   We would like just a plain old computer..    Good luck and hopefully computer savvy will be here.  There are several threads that talk about 10 in the electronics thread.--------tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

I also get those offers everytime I turn my computer on.  It is annoying.   In Dec I checked with 2 licensed techs and they suggested I wait until 10 has been out awhile.  They have noticed people having difficulties and think I should wait for the bugs to be fixed.  Also I got my HP Touch as a TSV and it came with several lifetime downloads that are now given for 1 year trials.   If I give up my current programs for the 10 I may have to go out and purchase some of my much needed programs [ex. Excell and Word]  Windows 10 does not have anything that I have to have to enjoy my computer and do daily tasks and fun things.    I have a great computer and system.  Not broke so why try to fix it.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in the same situation and upgraded to 10 when it was first sent out.  It is so much better than 8.  Do it, you will not regret it.

Trusted Contributor

After the upgrade, my computer freezes and restarts. Never did that before. I've ran all the antivirus/malware scans so it's not that

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

Now that Windows 10 has been around for eight months now, how do users feel about it?  I'm entitled to the free upgrade on my April 2015 Dell TSV laptop, but I'm still on the fence and haven't upgraded yet.  I'm tolerating Windows 8.1 but wondering if 10 is worth it.  TIA!

I think we might have purchased the same Dell TSV. I'm afraid to upgrade, too. And barely tolerating 8.1. 

Esteemed Contributor

I went from 8.1 to Windows 10 and I like it so much better than the 8.1.

I haven't had any issues....my brother, on the other hand, updated from Windows 7 and he is having issues...

Regular Contributor

I upgraded my Dell last year in July from 8.1 to 10. I only encountered one problem then which was with Norton incompatibility issue which has been resolved and this should no longer affect anyone (I upgraded the very first day I was eligible).

Then in October one of the Windows 10 updates kept failing to install and I looked online for possible solutions, one of which was repair your computer. I was doing that step and I thought it was taking way too long and I didn't want my computer on because we were getting storm so I turned it off while it was repairing and that corrupted all my files on my computer (I knew what I was doing was a NO-NO! but did it regardless). Everything went smoothly, but a few days later I kept losing Internet. Did some research and found out my network cards needed to be updated. I recommend Driver Talernt!

Then not too long ago... January? February? Another update kept failing to install and I didn't want to go through all the troubleshooting steps and just did a clean reinstall of my Windows 10.

Yes, I don't regret upgrading to Windows 10 and what I discovered is when I had problems with my computer, it was always a driver needing to be updated and Driver Talent makes it so easy. Dell is also great because you just go to their website and they have your service tags and all your drivers and updated. 

Frankly, I knew nothing about Windows 10 and what came with it. For that matter, I'm not very tech savvy but am always amazed when I'm able to solve/fix my issues. All I knew was that MS was offering an upgrade for free and I was all in, reading or researching nothing about it. Here's the thing: I didn't even have a copy of my Recovery disc, backup or anything. 

Here's a book I highly recommend: Windows 10 The Missing Manual. If you don't want to get the book, then just google "what I should do before Windows 10". Make sure that all your updates are current before you upgrade (very important to encounter fewest problem).

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  @Runner26, I bought the "Missing Manual" book recently, and I plan to take a look at the issues that concern me about Win10.  I will also be sure everything is freshly backed up to my Clickfree before I do anything.  I have a few months before the free upgrade offer expires, so I'll take all your comments into consideration, as well.  Thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

@Brooklynny 
@Brooklynny wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  @Runner26, I bought the "Missing Manual" book recently, and I plan to take a look at the issues that concern me about Win10.  I will also be sure everything is freshly backed up to my Clickfree before I do anything.  I have a few months before the free upgrade offer expires, so I'll take all your comments into consideration, as well.  Thanks again!

You may want to have a second cloud backup of all important files and photos.

You need to be sure your Clickfree drive will run in Window 10.

What happens to System Restore when upgrading to Window 10?