Valued Contributor

@Nuttmeg, thank you.  So many prickly issues to consider -- prickly at least to those of us who are not IT experts.  Why does Microsoft do this to us...lol...

Honored Contributor

We're switching over to 10 at work in the next couple months.  I think though, I'll keep my home computer at 8.1.  I don't see a reason to change.  I'll upgrade the next time I buy a new computer.

Respected Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@Nuttmeg, thank you.  So many prickly issues to consider -- prickly at least to those of us who are not IT experts.  Why does Microsoft do this to us...lol...

All operating systems get updated and changed.  It's because technology changes and in order to offer new features, there needs to be upgrades.  Can you imagine if we were still using the DOS operating system? 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I just upgraded to win 10 from 8.1 this is the second time I tried to upgrade. The first time was a disaster. The second time I did it [yesterday] I was surprised, it was easy and all my settings were there and I even saw that my Norton was working . My E-mail was fine. I put in my password and that was it. The welcome window came up and everything is fine. I know my way around win 10 because I recently brought a computer with win10 . The only thing is you have to make sure your computer meets all the requirements otherwise it will not upgrade. My verdict is a thumbs up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Brooklynny wrote:

All operating systems get updated and changed.  It's because technology changes and in order to offer new features, there needs to be upgrades.  Can you imagine if we were still using the DOS operating system? 

I agree.. Don't be afraid of upgrading. I like the new technology of WIn10 now that I have upgraded my 8.1.  I find it very easy to navigate then WIn8.1. was.

Valued Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the input.  I have until July for the free upgrade, so I'll think about it further.

Honored Contributor

I gave up fighting it & am updating to 10 today. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

I gave up fighting it & am updating to 10 today. 

I avoided the express setup & went the "customized settings" route so I was able to say no to the invasive options. At least the ones they gave me the option to decline! So far, so good.

...but it hasn't been very long. lol...

I do like getting a start menu back & getting rid of that awful, useless apps page. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the input.  I have until July for the free upgrade, so I'll think about it further.

Don't be afraid of it. I am enjoying it much better then Win 8.1

Contributor

I got a message a few days ago saying Windows 10 would be installed on my computer on Friday at 11pm. I had the option of allowing it or decling or rescheduling. I went on an let them install it, since it said if I didn't like it, I could go back to Win 7 within 31 days and told me how to do it. I was scared I wouldn't be able to find anything but when I went online this morning it almost looked like Windows 7. So far no problems and it seems to be okay. I've noticed a few things that changed but for the better. I read where Windows 7 will only get updates until 2020 and that is another reason I went with it. You will have to pay for it in 2020, I guess. It is suppose to be more secure too. Don't be like me and put it off forever, it installed itself without my help. I think I'll like it.