Honored Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Update version 20H2

[ Edited ]

@MKR14 wrote:

I started this newest Windows 10 update at 7:30am today. It finally downloaded and pended install when I restarted it. This took 6 hours to this point to restart. Then restarted it at 3:00 pm.
Now it is almost 6pm today and it is installing and still only at 22%. I will have to leave on all night to finish.

I was on the Windows 1903 version to update to new one. The 2004 always failed to update. I decided to do this new one and if it messing up my computer I am going to order a new MacBook Pro. I have messed with Windows enough. This is. 2017 HP 17" rose gold laptop and is as beautiful as clear to use. 
Anyone else download the 20H2 update yet? I never do an update usually about 6 months after it comes out but I am sick of Windows always trying to run updates when it is starts even when they are paused until May 18th. I do the pause whenever I can but I have been looking at. A MacBook as I didn't care if this worked as I will buy a new one.

My brother in law runs a computer shop if needed but I usually can figure things myself.

Just frustrating.

@MKR14 

@MKR14 I was so tired of Windows and their updates and the constant changes they make to everything that I've stopped using them. I haven't touched my laptop in over a year and I rely on my iPad Pro. I still subscribe to McAffee for the laptop. I need to ditch their services. I also subscribe to OFFICE with MS Word and other applicaticans for use on both my iPad and the web and on the laptop. I'm considering discontinuing, but I've got too much on my mind to start figuring out how to do it. 

I don't know why so many people are sticking with MS. They deliberately change where they put things on the screen and they change the names otheir programs and move them and make me have to figure out or relearn the unnecessary. When I come back to use the laptop after any lapse I spend whole days updating and then hours and hours trying to find out what unnecessary new changes they have made. Plus, Explorer can be used with antivirus software but Edge only works with MS Defender. 

Honored Contributor

I downloaded it last week and the result was that my printer wouldn't print.  It was no longer even present.  Troubleshooting run several times, and it said the printer had to be turned ON .... and it was on.  I was losing my mind with this nonsense.

Well, I finally had to have a Microsoft person in some other country do a remote repair .... took about 90 minutes ......    and then I ended up having to do the same thing with an HP tech person.  

It's now running perfectly ... knock on wood ..... but it was a real hassle .... ugh.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 @The same thing happened to me and I deleted the printer from the computer reinstalled it and it would not work. My internet connected easily and knew it wasn't that.

My son just got home from being in Nevada for his work and he said wanted to see what he could do. I forgot he sets up offices as he is a Medical Billing Consultant.

He found the problem in just a few minutes. I had set up a new TP Link Router a month ago and the printer did not recoginize the router because of the new Windows 10 update changing something. He put in my password and the printer worked. That is why I hate Windows updates.

I always try and do things myself but never thought of that. He just smiled and I gave him a big hug. I had a feeling if anything was wrong it would be the printer but shut the computer down after the update when done as it took so long to download. Then yesterday morning I tried the printer. My HP Envy printer is 11 years old and did fine after the password for the router was added.

Glad you got yours running also.

Honored Contributor

Oh geez.  I cringe every time I hear about a big Win10 update.  I wonder what all it will skrew up this time.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I wasn't aware there was a big one, but yes I updated (I thought the ususal ones)  Took quite a while, but everything is OK.

Contributor

I updated, too on my HP Desktop, which is pretty new, and my HP Laptop, which is also pretty new.   Laptop was fine.   However, MS Office 365, only the  Word app,  so far, has decided it hated the update and got seriously bizarre.  I cannot open documents full screen that have I saved to my desktop.   Yet they will open correctly when I first open Word and then import them from the desktop location.   I am about to call MS.   And honestly, I would go back to Mac, but my court reporting software has never ran in the Mac environment either in Parallels or Boot Camp.  Just too slow.   

Respected Contributor

I sure hope Microsoft Office would sell it as a onetime purchase and not a yearly fee like they used to. I have Microsoft Office Pro 2007 version on my Windows 10 computer. I fixed the email problem not sending out as it needed to be encrypted and somehow went to not encrypted by itself. A few days ago I had a 461 error on the outgoing Outlook email and couldn't fix it. The next day I was able to fix it as it asked on the screen if I wanted it fixed and walked me through how. No rhyme or reason to it. I know it is no longer supported for updates.

My HP is Windows 10 and is 3 years old. It runs so slow and I am going to buy a new MacBook Pro in the fall. I started going through my Windows laptop today and uninstalled all the Wild Tangent games that came on it, Disney games, a few more game programs that were not needed. I took all but 1 icon off the screen and then did a disk clean up and the Clean System clean up also. It runs almost like new now. Under the Clean System files in the the Disk Clean Up (in the Start Menu) it cleaned up all the ok'd Windows 10 downloads up to May and June's. Could not believe I found the sluggish problem. I could have done this months ago. You have to be what you uninstall is not part of the operating system and just bloatware. 

I restarted my computer and everything is running great. It should have come with directions to do this step by step.

Contributor

Microsoft Office 2007, I have the entire suite on CD from maybe 12 years ago.   That was definitely the best version of Office, esp. Word and Excel.   I now have that awful Office 365 for Windows 10, and I absolutely detest it.  I hate the ribbon, and I hate the hoops i have to go through to create labels and save my documents.   I was running Windows Vista for 12 years, until this past January and I had to replace both desktop and laptop.  I heard Windows 10 was supposed to be the last version of Windows, and now I hear there is a Windows 11, supposedly to be announced June 24th or so.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm on a delay for Win10 updates, but my laptop has been exceedingly slow since the last set of updates that were  automatically installed a few days ago.  Apparently, this last update contains the 20H2 posted about here, but it only took the usual few minutes to install.  This is what my Windows Settings screen says about the update:

"This update includes reliability improvements to Windows Update Service components in Windows 10, versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1909, 2004, 20H2 (bolded by me), and 21H1. It may take steps to free up disk space on your device if you do not have enough disk space to install Windows updates."

Could my laptop be slow because I don't have enough disk space for this update?  And so should I uninstall this update if it's causing me speed problems?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.