Honored Contributor

My desk top is fairly new.  It's an HP and is running Windows 10.  Initially, in the evening, I would select "sleep" and it would go into that mode for the night.  (Every few nights, I turn it off completely).  Most recently, "sleep" mode doesn't seem to work all the time.  It "sleeps" for awhile, but then seems to come back on.  Might I have done something to cause this?  Or should I be selecting something else to turn it off at night, without turning it off completely?  Thanks!  (I'm much more an Apple person, so not very familiar with Windows 10 yet).

Honored Contributor

Mine does the same thing. So now instead of powering it down completely by pushing the power button to turn it off completely, I just let it go to sleep on it's own. That part can be changed to how long it will take before it sleeps. I was told it's not necessary to turn off a PC completely because there is no reason to do it unless you are going to be away from it for a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Question

[ Edited ]

I just get up and walk away. After a little while the screen goes dark. Is that what is meant by going to sleep?

Super Contributor

You might try:

Control Panel > Power Options > Change when the computer sleeps > Change settings for the plan.

May need to reset the options there, particularly the "Put the computer to sleep." Here you change the timing.

Hth.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl. I'm meaning when I put it to sleep or turn it off at night.  I do have a screen saver on for during the day.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@WildDunes. Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Mine does the same thing. So now instead of powering it down completely by pushing the power button to turn it off completely, I just let it go to sleep on it's own. That part can be changed to how long it will take before it sleeps. I was told it's not necessary to turn off a PC completely because there is no reason to do it unless you are going to be away from it for a long time.

Never shutdown your computer using the power button. 

I used to hit my power button every night before I went to bed. It didn't do anything except power it down but took forever to boot back up. Now the only time I push the power button is when I'm going to be gone for a long time or if there is lightning. I recently lost every piece of electronics in my house from a lightning strike. I'm unplugging everything  now when the storms come. The bolt of lightning that hit my house came in from under ground, travelled through all of my electrical wiring and wiped out everything in it's path. I unplug everything in the house during the thunderstorm season when I'm away and unplug everything during a storm when I'm here.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@shaggygirl. I'm meaning when I put it to sleep or turn it off at night.  I do have a screen saver on for during the day.

Well I don't do anything different at night. When I'm done for the day or evening I get up and walk away, period. After the screen goes dark it stays that way till the next morning when I press a key on the keyboard or click the mouse. There's a key on the keyboard with a half moon that if I remember correctly I think indicates sleep but I never touch it. Maybe I should be but I dunno, not going to worry about it, lol.

Respected Contributor

Reading through these posts is a reason I will never buy a PC again. As the vendor said on QVC, you have to do "finger Pilates" to run these things. " Control/Alt/what ?"

stick with Apple and your misery will be done with. Best decision I made years ago was dumping the PC which seemed to slow down and needed replacement every few years. I love my Apple and would highly recommend them to anyone searching for a new machine.