Honored Contributor

Re: Windows 10 New Spring Update

[ Edited ]

Yes, version 1803 was installed two days ago. It took a long time and a few attempts to get here but afterwards there doesn't seem to be any problems. I'm using a fairly new desktop with the new AMD Ryzen 7 cpu. It's so fast that I don't see any difference in performance. However, the cpu seems to be running a little hotter...topping out slightly below 170'F. Before the update it was below 160' so whatever was done is making my cpu work a little harder but not slower.

Esteemed Contributor

so...glad I do not have to deal with win10 updates anymore I brought a CB and I never looked back. Nor do I miss having a Laptop anymore.

Respected Contributor

I decided to do the new Spring update and crossed my fingers that it didn’t mess the computer up. It took about 2 hours total from download to complete install. I just checked everything-internet, outlook and Word etc and all is fine. There are a few new icons above the settings in the Start section. No problem with mouse or the keyboard as some reported.

I decided my computer would just sit there unused otherwise. I just paid $700.00 for my HP laptop last winter and do have a 3 year Square Trade Warranty as well as HP Warranty to fall back on.

My son did his a few days ago-unaware of the problems with the new spring update- and his computer was fine also.

I also downloaded the WinUpdateStop v1.3 and installed it before I did any updates and it did disable the updates until you enable them. Nice. Just go online and check it out. It is free and it definitely will stop bad downloads before they happen. It was going to start the download and I hit disable and it did disable it.

Thought this might help. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I have 3 Win10 machines. Was very surprised when, a little over a week ago, the Spring Update 1803, downloaded  and installed on my old, little 11" Acer netbook. This Acer was a Win7 that I upgraded to Win10.  I use it to take to classes etc because of its size and had turned it on to do some security updating and then got away from it for a while. During this time, 1803 installed.  Good thing is no problems with the install and so far all is working ok.

As a precaution, I had set the metered connection on my other 2 computers to on, but had not done yet to this Acer.  I tend to not install any updates or new programs until the kinks are worked out. This is, of course, difficult with Win10, but I try.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WildDunes  WinUpdateStop v1.3.com was even easier than doing it the metered way. Whatever works for you is what you need to do. Check this site out in case you ever need it.

Glad your computers are doing ok also.

http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/

This is the complete site address for the WinUpdateStop v1.3

Super Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

@WildDunes  WinUpdateStop v1.3.com was even easier than doing it the metered way. Whatever works for you is what you need to do. Check this site out in case you ever need it.

Glad your computers are doing ok also.

I very much appreciate the info, will definitely check it out.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WildDunes

http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/

This is the total address to pop up the site I was telling you about. I feel safer with this so I can control my updates.

I get. This newsletter every week and it has all kinds of great info about electronics. This one is about new features in Windows 10 Spring Update. Just click below:

http://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/new/some-of-the-changes-in-windows-10-version-1803-april-2018-up...

Frequent Contributor

@SilleeMee@MKR14 & @WildDunes

Thanks so much for posting the results of your experience with the Windows 10 Spring Update. So glad to know that you haven't encountered any issues because I have a spare laptop downloading and installing it right now.. If anyone encounters any issues please come back here and update.. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I am sick of Microsoft.  I will buy no more.  My next computer will be a Mac.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://www.thundercloud.net  Information Avenue and Pick out the box with Computer Tips and Tricks.  They also have free stationary to download.

There is a lot of info on this site and it is free. Just sign up with an email address.

It has a daily or weekly one you can choose from. I get the daily one and today it is about Windows 10. I look forward to them. I have learned a lot. You also can email them and they answer questions in upcoming newsletters.