Trusted Contributor

Windows 10 Issue Today?

[ Edited ]

On another forum that I'm on, someone posted the following about an issue of concern with Windows 10:

"Our IT Department sent out a notice today that something invasive is going on with Windows 10. We were advised to update today and when we return on Tuesday. I just updated my personal computer.  Make sure to update Windows 10 if you use it."

Does anyone know anything about this?  When I asked for clarification, the poster said she's not a tech person and doesn't know exactly.  

I did notice that my laptop has been quite slow today.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

No problems with mine. I check everyday for updates and today there were none.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  I also googled and wasn't able to find any issues or alerts.  I'm thinking this woman's company was hacked and she didn't understand when she posted to all Win10 users.   

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

Do a search for PrintNightmare. That's the name of the vulnerability.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Issue Today?

[ Edited ]

@Caffeina   Thanks.  I googled and read an article on PrintNightmare by PC Mag, but being a non-tech person, I didn't understand much of it or what the consequences would be to me as a home user and what I'm supposed to do about it.  I'll keep reading.  Perhaps other articles will make more sense to me.

ETA:  According to another article, all Win10 users should disable Windows Print Spooler (have no idea what this is) to avoid being hacked until Microsoft comes up with a patch in the near future.  It involves running Powershell, accessed from the Win Start button, then disabling.  I tried following the steps, but the steps don't coincide on my laptop at all.  Don't really know what to do now.

Trusted Contributor

Okay, here are easy instructions on how to disable Windows Print Spoolers until Microsoft comes up with a patch for PrintNightmare.  I went ahead and did it.  Not really sure why no one else is talking about this.  It sounds pretty important to me.

1: How to Enable or Disable Print Spooler Service - Services

Press the Windows Key + R, type in services.msc, and press Enter. Double-click on Print Spooler. Click on Start or Stop.

Respected Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Okay, here are easy instructions on how to disable Windows Print Spoolers until Microsoft comes up with a patch for PrintNightmare.  I went ahead and did it.  Not really sure why no one else is talking about this.  It sounds pretty important to me.

Press the Windows Key + R, type in services.msc, and press Enter. Double-click on Print Spooler. Click on Start or Stop.

@Deree   Start Or Stop?  which one?  mine was running. i hit STOP

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Deree   Start Or Stop?  which one?  mine was running. i hit STOP

@MIMOSA   Yes, I hit STOP.  That disables the Win Print Spoolers according to the instructions.

Now I'm not advising anyone to do this.  I did it, but I'm not a tech person.  Also, these instructions may not hold after a Restart of your computer, so next time you Restart, go through the instructions again to make sure you're still on STOP.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried searching the computer for this print spooler and nothing matches.

Never mind.  I found it doing it another way.  But it says if you disable it then your printers won't work.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt  Did you follow these instructions:

Press the Windows Key + R

Type in services.msc

Press Enter

Double-click on Print Spooler

Click on Start or Stop.

If you still don't find it, google "how to disable Windows Print Spooler".  I think there's more than one way.

@chickenbutt  Yes, you will not be able to use your printers.  I use mine infrequently.  Hopefully, Microsoft is supposed to create a patch for this vulnerability in the next few days.  I'm going to check for one every day.  After they do, you can enable your Print Spooler again.