Valued Contributor

Why does my Chrome browser suddenly close?

I had a Windows 7 HP laptop that did this, and now my new Windows 10 HP laptop is doing the same thing. I will be on the internet, using Chrome browser, and suddenly it closes out and goes back to the desktop screen. I've tried searching for possible explanations for this behavior and resolutions but am having no luck. 

Originally I thought this might be a problem with HP laptops, but in researching this, I found that other brands have this happen as well. Don't know if it's an issue with the computer, with Chrome, or with Microsoft. I'd just like to find out how to fix it. Would anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why does my Chrome browser suddenly close?

@qualityshopper

Have you updated windows. 

Are you using the latest version of Chrome.

I read, check extensions you are using with  the browser(eg)ad block.

I found solutions at Google Chrome help.

You will probably find help on the HP Community Forum.

I usually try things that make sense. 

Honored Contributor

The good news is you're not alone. A whole lot of people have this same issue. A quick search turns up lots of people with the same complaint. The bad news is no one's found a real solution. Some blame the anti-virus, some blame a Windows feature called Quick Access, some blame other stuff. It doesn't look like anyone's found "the solution" but lots of people have opinions on what may be the solution. I don't think it's antivirus or Windows related however as Mac users also experience it and many Mac users don't use antivirus software and obviously aren't running Windows. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Chrome itself.

My best guess is there's a cache or storage issue within Chrome that causes the issue since it's occurring across multiple platforms. Chances are a programmer messed up the code, or the code has become damaged, that clears a cache or something on a regular basis and now it gets overloaded and the software crashes.

How to fix it? If you leave a browser window open all the time, shutting down the browser may help. Clearing the cache, cookies, and history in Chrome might help. Rebooting the computer may help. Just tolerating it until they get around to fixing the code issue is probably the best answer, but the least helpful. I don't think it's an extension issue as people have deleted all of their extensions and the problem persists. 

It could be a registry issue also. Running CCleaner might solve the problem. It can check your registry, clean the junk out of your computer, and just generally fix anything that might be causing trouble. It's possible that an older version of Chrome left a file or two behind that newer versions stumble upon and freak out at seeing and it causes the crash. CCleaner might help resolve the issue. There are no guarantees though. If the problem really bugs you, I'd go the CCleaner route and see if it helped.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
"How do I stop Chrome from auto closing?"

In Chrome, at the top right, click Settings. At the bottom, click Advanced . In the System section, turn off the toggle next to "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed."
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:
"How do I stop Chrome from auto closing?"

In Chrome, at the top right, click Settings. At the bottom, click Advanced . In the System section, turn off the toggle next to "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed."

That doesn't apply to Chromebooks, in case you're wondering. Settings are different on a CB.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess, like Gardenman mentioned, no one's found a real solution to this problem. I searched for quite a while and the few suggestions I found did not work.

Being that this is a fairly new computer, there really isn't much on here yet in the way of extensions. And, of course, since if's so new, everything is up to date. I always clear out my "cache, cookies and history" when shutting my computer down, as well as closing out my browser. Guess for now, I'll just put up with it. It's not really a big deal, just can't help but wonder why it happens. Weird that I experienced this on my Windows 7 laptop and now this Windows 10 one, but not ever on my Windows 8.1 desktop.  Use Chrome on all three. Who knows. 

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

I hope that you and others can find a fix for your problem.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Trusted Contributor

I too wonder if it's a Chrome issue for Chrome, itself.

My Chromebook does this once in awhile.

I tried everything that I could think of to try and resolve it--resetting it, cleaning out the cache, history, etc., and shutting it down and restarting it. 

Nothing stops it from happening. 

I think that it could be a glitch.