Valued Contributor

What to do about squealing computer panel

My new HP Envy desktop has a front panel that you slide up and down to access the card reader and two USB ports. Trouble is that every time I slide it down, the squeal it makes is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Would welcome any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise without doing any damage to the computer. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to do about squealing computer panel

You should call HP. This is a hardware problem.

Esteemed Contributor

I second that!

Honored Contributor

It's the plastic door covering the ports/reader that's causing the noise? If so then a drop or two of oil on the area that's rubbing should solve the problem. An easy alternative is also graphite from a pencil. Graphite's a natural lubricant and using a really sharp pencil to slide into the areas where the rubbing occurs should deposit enough graphite to lubricate the joint. I'd hesitate to use a spray lubricant like WD-40 as there's too much of a risk of the spray ending up where you don't want it. A well placed drop of oil or two or some graphite should solve the issue though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

I have an HP Envy too. Mine doesn't squeak. Just a thought. Did you peel off ALL the clear protective film? There was a lot of it on mine.

Valued Contributor

First, let me just say thanks to all of you for answering. Really appreciate it.

Nutmeg3 and Matty6--I would call HP and insist they do something about this, but I just have the standard two-year warranty that comes with the computer--not the extended one. With just the standard, I'd have to send the tower back to them (you don't get at-home service unless you buy the extended warranty). Since I finally got a computer that, for the most part, works correctly (had to send two previous ones back because of issues with both that couldn't be fixed), I wouldn't want to send it back solely for this panel in case they managed to mess something else up.

VolvoGirl--Yes, all of the film is off. I double checked to be sure. I actually was hoping to find some and, thus, a solution to the noise. You're lucky yours is quiet.

Gardenman--Yes, it's the door covering the ports and reader. I'll try your suggestion about the pencil first and, if that doesn't work, the oil. If neither works, perhaps I'll pull the front panel off unless, of course, HP would consider that to be a violation of the warranty. By the way, does it matter what type of oil I use? My mom has some oil she uses on her sewing machine. Would that be OK?