Honored Contributor

Re: What's The Difference Between The New iPad & One 3 Years Old?

[ Edited ]

I have an older I-pad 2 that was going through 100% of the battery life in about 2 hours. I used it plugged in until it went blank one day and I couldn't get the battery to hold a charge and it would not work while plugged in anymore.

i purchased a new battery and adhesive package and changed the battery.  It works now.

Today, I was shopping at COSCO and went over to the display to check out the new "Pro's". They are very attractive looking but too big for me.  I always carry my iPad with me and I hate to always use a bigger bag.

I looked at the "minis" and really liked the Mini 4.  I bought it!    It is way faster than my iPad 2 and it was a joy to set it up.  Everything transferred from the Cloud easily.  I set up Apple Pay and password protected the iPad with my thumbprint.  I really love it and best of all it fits in my little cross body bag.

Technology changes fast.  I suppose it depends on what you need an iPad for that should help you decide which model to choose.  I have a laptop, so I didn't feel I needed a "Pro". I needed something more portable.

OMG, the camera is amazing too.  Great videos, slo mo and panoramic.  It's my new toy.

Good luck with your decision.

Update: I just figured out that the mini 4 has a slide screen and a split screen too.  This thing is loaded with goodies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7, you mentioned enjoying photos. For that reason alone you would be happy with the 9.7" Pro. It not only has the retina screen, but a new color technology that pro reviewers have been happily impressed with that makes for a very vivid viewing experience. And of course much faster processor and a bit more RAM. 

Edit: The larger Pro has more RAM, the smaller has the same as the Air 2. Both Pros have *4* speakers - nice! The cameras are also both better than the Air 2.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 I'm like you.  I like my old stuff and sometimes have to be brought kicking and screaming into new stuff.  I do love the latest and greatest, but I know zip about it.  (I'm from the poke with my finger on the picture generation).

Enjoy your new IPAD.  I love mine too.....Enjoy your wonderful family.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Carmie !

You have a lot of good information in that post!

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7, you mentioned enjoying photos. For that reason alone you would be happy with the 9.7" Pro. It not only has the retina screen, but a new color technology that pro reviewers have been happily impressed with that makes for a very vivid viewing experience. And of course much faster processor and a bit more RAM. 

Thanks @Moonchilde

DD has been saying the same thing about the retina screen, knowing how much I enjoy the family photos and others rolling in every day.

Honored Contributor

I take photos with my iPad around the house, but not "out and about." Not going to carry around an almost 10" "camera" - but I might do it sometimes if I had a mini, though I have an iPhone 6S. But even taking photos at home, the Pros cameras (front and back) are better and if you wanted to Skype it would be a better experience. Also does 4K video. And as I'd added below, 4 speakers - a vast improvement on the older iPads.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Noel7 I'm like you.  I like my old stuff and sometimes have to be brought kicking and screaming into new stuff.  I do love the latest and greatest, but I know zip about it.  (I'm from the poke with my finger on the picture generation).

Enjoy your new IPAD.  I love mine too.....Enjoy your wonderful family.

That's right.  Why get something new when the old one still works?

Actually, that kind of thinking got me in trouble not long ago.  I happened to come in contact with someone outside who was obviously disturbed and getting violent.

I tried to call the police and my cell phone failed.  First time ever, it was on it's last legs, I'd thought.  DD almost had a fit and had me agree to get a smart phone the next day.  I chose an iPhone.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

What a nice gift.  With that being said, I can't help but wonder why other posters who stated their devices, iPads included, are running slow don't do a recovery/restore/reset?  You have nothing to lose and may save you money by not needing a new device.  It doesn't matter what type of device, computer, tablet, smart phone, they all get bogged down with time and use.  There is plenty of information on how to proceed online doing a Google search. 

@glb613,  I think the likely reason my 2012 iPad 3 -- which I literally (yes, literally Smiley Happy ) use every day -- still works almost like new is because I frequently backup/reset (erase)/restore.   Even syncing regularly can clear up a myriad of issues.   Nevertheless, there are other reasons people want a newer device, so I can understand that.

This poster is getting a gift so I understand a new device.  How many times has someone posted their computer or tablet is slow and they are buying new?  I've been posting here for years and I can tell you, it's a lot. I wonder what people do with their old machines.  I wouldn't be surprised to fine they were put into the landfill which is so wrong. 

I haven't redone my iMac but plan on doing it soon.  I've been remodeling a house to sell and I haven't had the time.  I also need to look online and find out how to do it. 

Valued Contributor

I just got the iPad Air 2 cellular version and couldn't be happier.