Frequent Contributor

Weird problem with desktop icon moving

I have a brand new desktop computer with Windows 8.1. The only desktop icons (shortcuts) loaded right now are those put on by HP, which I will shortly be eliminating. Before doing so, however, I'd like to know why I'm having this weird problem.

One of the shortcuts (for the trial version of Mcafee--am definitely getting rid of that software as soon as I'm sure I'll be keeping this computer) moves around all on its own. The "align icons to grid" option is checked, and the "auto arrange icons" option is unchecked. Don't understand why just this one icon keeps moving back and forth between two different locations (the same two) within the column. None of the other icons move. Would anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Weird problem with desktop icon moving

Anyone?

Honored Contributor

I am assuming you have rebooted or restarted the computer. If you have and that didn't help, I would try deleting that particular shortcut and putting up another of the same. I recently, just yesterday as a matter of fact, had a desktop shortcut that was no longer working. I tried everything even a reboot, all to no avail.

Decided to delete it and go into Windows Explorer and "send to desktop" this startup shortcut. I know this ain't the same thing but it is the best I got for ya.

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

Thanks hckynut for responding. Rebooting didn't help, nor refreshing the screen. Called HP sales dept. about another issue and brought this up to the salesman--he had never experienced this problem. Then talked to an HP tech. Same thing--he had never encountered this before. He did all kinds of things (many of which I know were not necessary to do). He even installed the latest drivers for the graphics processor. None of these things helped. It still jumped around while he had remote access of the computer.

I'd just like to know the reason this is happening. If the problem is solely to do with this particular icon, then it's nothing to worry about. I'll be deleting it anyway. However, if the cause is something else, then the same problem may occur in the future with any shortcuts I place on the desktop. Would anyone have any idea what this might be?

Valued Contributor

Just an update. I had wondered if this problem might occur again, and it did. After creating other shortcuts, as well as pasting several PDF files and Office 2003 files from my old computer onto the desktop screen, one (just the one!) would not stay in place. This time, the problem was with any new document I created with Word 2010. If I went in to the document and made changes, then saved and closed it out, the icon for that document would move. Wouldn't happen with documents created with either Excel 2010 or PowerPoint 2010, nor would it happen with any of my old 2003 docs.

Neither HP nor Microsoft could figure out why, and they could not fix it no matter what they tried to do--and they tried a heck of a lot of things! So, first this happened with a shortcut to McAfee and now with a document. Of course, a simple solution to the moving Word docs would be simply to save all of them to My Documents, but I'd really like to have ones that I need to access often saved to the desktop. No one seems to have a clue as to why this is happening except maybe a problem with the OS. Would anyone know if this is perhaps some kind of bug with Windows 8.1? Thanks.

Regular Contributor

I have HP with windows 8.1 and do not have this problem, I'd want to exchange if I did. (Exchange computer)
Valued Contributor

2000survivor--Actually I've requested HP to pick it up tomorrow to return. I don't know if I'm just extremely unlucky with anything electronic or if there may be a problem with this particular model (Pavilion 500-210QE). You see, this is actually the second computer I've gotten from them of this model. The first one also had problems (different from this computer's issues) which the techs could not fix. I really liked the specs and the price I got on this and wanted very much to be able to keep it, but it was doing things besides moving icons that were definitely indicative of problems with the OS. I may check out a Dell that Staples has on sale this week. Hope I have better luck with that one.

Honored Contributor

I have the same issue with one of my shortcuts which was put on during a tech help session. It won't delete and I can't move it out of the way (it's almost in the middle of my screen). I think it's Windows 8.1, since I have a Dell and you have an HP, it seems likely it's the OS.

It doesn't bother me enough to send the computer back because my common sense tells me it's the OS and not the computer. I will just wait for the next Windows upgrade. I have a lot of issues with Windows 8.1, strange things happening quite often. It's frustrating, but I'm hoping the next upgrade will take care of it.

Also, I attribute it to many programs not liking this OS, e.g., QVC's website. The Microsoft programs seem to work fine with it (Word, Excel, Outlook), which is another clue to me that it's the OS vs. programs that don't interface well with it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Weird. I was just able to delete that shortcut I mentioned today. I have absolutely no clue why, as I just deleted it as I normally would.

Windows 8.1 is just chock full of surprises!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

do u have any restore point?