Respected Contributor

Do you need to use your smartphone to install these?  I am confused about many of the q&a's I am reading.  Some say simple set up but I am not understanding why a phone is involved.  I thought they were just plug in and connect to your router by the buttons on these 2 devices.....

Honored Contributor

no, we did not need a smartphone to install our 2 wifi extenders in our home.

we DID need a smartphone to install  our 3 xfi pods (wifi extenders) to connect them to our wireless gateway with comcast xfinity at our beach home.

it may depend on what type of wifi extender you are installing?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I have a tp-link Wi-Fi extender.  All I had to do was press the WPS buttons.  First on the router, then on the extender.

After a couple of minutes they found each other and I was able to move the extender where I wanted and everything works great.

Trusted Contributor

You need your phone only if you have a doorbell or security system because those work with an app, and the app has to be connected to the extender to work properly if it is too far away from the router.

If you are only adding extenders to make wifi spread around your house more evenly then the only reason you would need your phone would be to connect your phone to whichever is closer to the room you are in most. The router or the extender.

My bedroom is far away from my router so it drops the signal a lot. I got an extender and I just had to train my phone to connect to the extender and not the main router.

Extenders are pretty easy to install. If you have the same name brand it comes with simple instructions to pair them. If you get a different brand because it is more inexpensive (example: Router is Netgear or TP Link, and the extender is another brand) they give you instructions in the extender box to link those together.