Respected Contributor

The article said that Verizon wanted "the value-oriented" wireless market.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/verizon-buys-prepaid-phone-provider-tracfone-120100041.html 

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

The article said that Verizon wanted "the value-oriented" wireless market.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/verizon-buys-prepaid-phone-provider-tracfone-120100041.html 

good move for both companies I think 

Honored Contributor

Tracfone already has an agreement with Verizon and uses Verizon towers, so this is a pretty natural move on both sides. Verizon gains 20+ million new customers for a relatively minor cost in terms of cash. They lose the revenue they gained from Tracfone renting tower time but gain more customers. The T-Mobile/Sprint merger helped to force their hand a bit. Verizon's paying about $150 in cash per Tracfone customer ($3.125 billion in cash over 21 million customers) so that's kind of a bargain given the cost to acquire customers through advertising or other means. The stock cost is less of a burden for a company. 

Now we get to see if they keep Tracfone separate, suck it in under the Verizon corporate label, or what happens. For Tracfone customers, it could be good as Verizon has multiple storefronts where you could, if they go under the same umbrella, get service, buy new phones, get assistance, etc. It could also speed up the introduction of higher-end phones under the Tracfone terms and conditions as Verizon sells the high-end phones anyway. In theory Verizon could keep the costs the same, or even lower them since they own the towers already and would just be using their own infrastructure instead of leasing the tower space. By using their own pre-existing distribution centers/storefronts they could bypass the "normal" retailers keeping more profit for themselves while lowering costs for consumers. 

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Verizon only had 4 million prepaid customers before this despite having 116 million regular monthly subscribers. They've now upped that number to 25 million prepaid subscribers in total. How do they use that new power? Better phones at a lower price? Do they raise prices? Do they try to switch Tracfone users to monthly plans? We'll have to see. The mobile marketplace is getting very condensed with these mergers. T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, and Tracfone have now become just two companies instead of four. 

Verizon now has a total of 141 million customers (116 million monthly, 25 million prepaid) so that gives them some pretty good negotiating power with phone providers. They should be able to buy phones at well below suggested retail. How will they use that leverage? Will the savings get passed on to consumers? We'll have to see. We should be hearing fairly soon if they'll keep the Tracfone label or switch everything to Verizon Prepaid. It's going to get interesting for a bit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg 

Thank you for this info. As a long time user of Tracfone I hope this doesn't complicate the bottom line, in any aspect, for the end user.

Tracfone, for my type of use, has always been, by comparisons, very much cheaper. Along with that, as compared to my wife's much more expensive plans, much more dependable, when it comes to connecting and dropping calls inside our own home.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Call me a pessimist but I can't help feeling this does not bode well for the consumer.  We've got good phones and service dirt cheap; there's no place to go but up in cost.  I've never dealt with Verizon but my sister has had hell with both their land line and cell service.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Call me a pessimist but I can't help feeling this does not bode well for the consumer.  We've got good phones and service dirt cheap; there's no place to go but up in cost.  I've never dealt with Verizon but my sister has had hell with both their land line and cell service.

@Kachina624 

I have used Verizon Bell services  for  many years. I found my landline service very good until they cut it off in 2019. 

I have had Verizon wireless for 18 years. It is great, but expensive. 

Tracfone could not move customers inro the 5G space without a partner. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

In theory, consumer costs could go down. You could argue they should go down. Tracfone had to buy tower use from Verizon and I suspect Verizon was making a profit on those costs which were passed on to Tracfone users. Verizon with 140+ million customers should be able to negotiate lower prices on phones than Tracfone could with 21 million customers. If Verizon moves Tracfone sales to their Verizon stores, they could reduce the retail costs associated with in-store packaging/promotion. Their cost per customer to get the customers was lower than I'd have anticipated, so there's little real financial burden there. They can move Tracfone customer support to their existing CSR teams saving them money. There's really no financial reason why the cost of Tracfone service should increase and a not unreasonable expectation that costs could decrease. If the new combined T-Mobile/Sprint starts a price war with Verizon for prepaid customers, prices could decrease substantially.

Now with that said, Verizon could still double or triple our prices and help use us to subsidize their more valued contract customers. Who knows what they'll ultimately do, but financially, there's no reason they have to increase our prices and some reasonable expectation they could lower the prices. Tracfone pays a premium for packaging phones that Verizon wouldn't have to pay if they sell the phones through their stores. A telecom analyst thinks Verizon could save $1.6 billion a year through the acquisition. Tracfone isn't just Tracfone but also about a dozen associated prepaid providers under different brands. Consolidating all of that under Verizon could save Verizon lots of money. Will it? God only knows? We'll find out in a year or two.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

I just hope it gives the consumer access to good prices on higher end, newer phones. I'm tired of being forced to buy phones that have been on the market for a year.

For instance, the newest LG Stylo is the 5 which has been out for a year. That compares with the Stylo 6 which we can't have from Tracfone for any price.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman    I decided to buy another year of service, which I've always gotten for $50.  I went to the TracFone website, fiddled around but could not see the $50 deal any longer.  I just want service, no talk or text time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Verizon buys Tracfone

[ Edited ]

@gardenman : I have tracfone and the LG premier pro.My date to purchase more  minutes, data, text-  10/10/20. Do I need to wait until this date or purchase now?Yikes- just looked at the website and the year plan is $125 this is more than what I paid for the phone.