Respected Contributor

The newest version of the Mac Operating System will be available for download on Thursday, Nov. 12th.

I plan to do the download when it's available.  Will let everyone know how it goes.

Valued Contributor

My husband listens to the apple insider podcast or show and finds out for us in advance whether to wait or go ahead. He's a screen reader user so it's important the update doesn't mess that up. Oh, yeah, he reminded me there is a zoom update. Will check back with you to compare notes. Love my Mac.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 @Growing  Thanks for the info.  Will be watching for your update before I download.  S

Respected Contributor

To All:  Started the Install at 1:50pm today (3/12).  Had to restart it after 30 min.  Install failed after about 3 hours, incomplete and counldn't restart the install.  Still using OS Catalina.  Have no idea where this will go now.

Am using a late 2015 iMac so that's not the problem.  Have high speed internet.  Will try to figure out and let everyone know.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mac OS Big Sur

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000   The problem is that Apple's servers are overloaded AND the OS download is a monster!  Bandwidth limitations on Apple's side.

Apple has reported that the server problem was solved at 1;15 PM PST.  Apparently, that is not so.  As of 7:00 p PST, the problem still exist.

Folks in the know are telling folks to download to wait until tomorrow or a few days afterwards.

Big Sur is such a massive download (12.6 GB) it will take SEVERAL HOURS to install completely no matter how fast your Internet is.

In my research I cannot for the life of me find any info that I can understand w/o all the techno mumbo jumbo, why there is no OS 11.0.0.  This OS jumps right into OS 11.0.1.  confused.gif

EDIT:  As of 8:30 p EST, Akamai servers (US) are up & running.  US Folks are reporting back that the downloads are "faster" w/no installation errors.

1a753e34-e98e-47b9-967c-e6e6a1ec7d09.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I get a message my Mac is up to date without the latest download.  Hmmmm.

Respected Contributor

OK--"Victory at Sea".

Restarted the download at 7:45pm ET last night.  Checked the computer at about 5:15am this morning and found that it had downloaded.  Wanted to install this morning rather than overnight again tonight.  Install took the better part of 2 hours to complete.

Sorry.  I'm old enough to remember when paper records were converted to punch cards.  The Big Sur download/install is the worst I can remember.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Cats3000   The problem is that Apple's servers are overloaded AND the OS download is a monster!  Bandwidth limitations on Apple's side.

Apple has reported that the server problem was solved at 1;15 PM PST.  Apparently, that is not so.  As of 7:00 p PST, the problem still exist.

Folks in the know are telling folks to download to wait until tomorrow or a few days afterwards.

Big Sur is such a massive download (12.6 GB) it will take SEVERAL HOURS to install completely no matter how fast your Internet is.

In my research I cannot for the life of me find any info that I can understand w/o all the techno mumbo jumbo, why there is no OS 11.0.0.  This OS jumps right into OS 11.0.1.  confused.gif

EDIT:  As of 8:30 p EST, Akamai servers (US) are up & running.  US Folks are reporting back that the downloads are "faster" w/no installation errors.

1a753e34-e98e-47b9-967c-e6e6a1ec7d09.png

My best guess would be that the Beta version was 11.0.0. They found and fixed flaws in the Beta version and that made the current version 11.0.1. Justine Ezarek (iJustine on YouTube) had been using a Beta version of it. I'm guessing her version was 11.0.0.

Not too long ago when I was on dial-up I would hate updating iTunes because it took forever to download the updates. We're talking hours for just iTunes. A lot of people are still on dial-up and a 12.6 gb file is likely a multi-day (maybe multi-week?) download for them. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman I have high speed internet.  The problems yesterday afternoon were frustrating.  Once I restarted the download, it worked overnight.  The install process took the better part of 2 hours.

The Apple/Big Sur website suggested the download alternative of overnight; I should have taken it.  The install screen ALSO suggested doing the process overnight; that was more than I could stomach.  I took the two hours and finished the job.  Watching thing restart after various phases of the install was stunning.  This is 2020.  There ought to be simplicity and transparency by now.

Honored Contributor

Modern operating systems have become absurdly complex. My first desktop had a 1.2 GB hard drive and came preloaded with Windows 3.11. When Windows 95 came out I installed that also. That computer was used for seven years and still had space left on the hard drive. (That was before lots of the digital stuff we store on computers these days.) It had two full operating systems on it, one being relatively modern in Windows 95, and combined they didn't take up much of the 1.2 GB hard drive.

I think Google might be on the right track with its Chrome operating system. Keep the OS simple, safe, and secure, and let the actual programs/apps do the hard work. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!