Super Contributor

We have had Ooma for more years than I can count.  I have it set up to have my home phone number calls also ring on my cell phone.  That way I can pick up calls when I am out and I also get calls on my cell phone when we have a power outage.

Honored Contributor

@hick Does the VOIP phone have the "caller ID" option?

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@hick Does the VOIP phone have the "caller ID" option?

Yes.

Trusted Contributor

@hick ,

I'm seriously considering getting OOMA. I am tired of paying over $70 monthly just to have a land line. Those that use a device for use during storms what brand did you go for?

Dee🙎

Regular Contributor

I bought an OOMA.  Purchased from Costco.  It came with 3 hand sets.

The OOMA web site often has sales or has the same price as Costco.

Very pleased with everything.

Super Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@hick ,

I'm seriously considering getting OOMA. I am tired of paying over $70 monthly just to have a land line. Those that use a device for use during storms what brand did you go for?

Dee🙎

Be careful what you buy.  A true VOIP is not a landline and will go out if you lose power or internet service.  Unlike a cell phone, which connects using the cellular system, this using a special modem connected with your internet service.  So, if you lose power during a storm, you are SOL. 

Honored Contributor

@gadgetgal613 wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@hick ,

Dee🙎

Be careful what you buy.  A true VOIP is not a landline and will go out if you lose power or internet service.  Unlike a cell phone, which connects using the cellular system, this using a special modem connected with your internet service.  So, if you lose power during a storm, you are SOL. 

I have a Ooma voip phone. I bought a separate battery backup just to keep my router, voip box and phone powered up during a power outage. My battery will keep things powered up for 72 straight operating hours. It's also what is called a UPS...stands for uninterrupted power supply. What that means is the UPS automatically switches over to battery mode during an outage and then back to regular power when the electricity comes back on. I never have have to touch the UPS. Just sits there with all my devices plugged into the back of it. Sort of like a mini Generac.

If my internet service goes down, for whatever reason beyond my control, I have a cell phone as backup for phone service.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee - I understand that your battery backup would keep your phone charged, but how would that make your phone useable?

If the internet is down (no electricity) how do you use a phone that is VOIP?

We have our phone and internet through Spectrum (and are very pleased with it), but we have cellphones that we use during power outages.  Even with our generator running, the regular phones won't work, since they depend on the electrical lines.

The only situation where I can think the phones would work, is if someone has their internet via satellite.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SilleeMee - I understand that your battery backup would keep your phone charged, but how would that make your phone useable?

If the internet is down (no electricity) how do you use a phone that is VOIP?

We have our phone and internet through Spectrum (and are very pleased with it), but we have cellphones that we use during power outages.  Even with our generator running, the regular phones won't work, since they depend on the electrical lines.

The only situation where I can think the phones would work, is if someone has their internet via satellite.

@Venezia 

My battery backup device provides power for my router, voip box and the phone itself as well as my laptop if I need that, too. As long as the internet has not gone down, from things beyond my control, then I have power to my electronics for 72 operating hours.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee - I guess I just don't understand how the phone would work in those circumstances.  Our generator powers our home during outages but, if the mainline power is out, the phone doesn't actually work.  (Yes, it does stay charged though.)