Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@glb613  et al, for some reason I don't feel comfortable to out this information on a computer.  Anyone else feel the same?  S

I won't do this either.  When your computer is no longer workable, the data is still there.  It can be found if someone wants to find it.  I try shopping places and going to sites more that don't require me to create an account (password and name).  I sick of remembering passwords and I'm not about to compromise important information by password locking it on the computer to turn right around and forget that password too.  LOL.  I'm not writing it down in a book either.  That to me, defeats the whole purpose.

You must have a better memory than I do.  I have 3 full pages of user names and passwords and would never remember them all unless I used the exact same user name and password for every site.  I can't imagine living in a household where you can't write things down on a piece of paper or notebook because someone might steal it.  Of well, to each it's own. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@glb613  et al, for some reason I don't feel comfortable to out this information on a computer.  Anyone else feel the same?  S

I won't do this either.  When your computer is no longer workable, the data is still there.  It can be found if someone wants to find it.  I try shopping places and going to sites more that don't require me to create an account (password and name).  I sick of remembering passwords and I'm not about to compromise important information by password locking it on the computer to turn right around and forget that password too.  LOL.  I'm not writing it down in a book either.  That to me, defeats the whole purpose.

You must have a better memory than I do.  I have 3 full pages of user names and passwords and would never remember them all unless I used the exact same user name and password for every site.  I can't imagine living in a household where you can't write things down on a piece of paper or notebook because someone might steal it.  Of well, to each it's own. 

@glb613 I have a good memory, yes.  I don't have that much going on my life where it has come to the point of having to write down important passwords (such as how to get on the SS website); banking, and other important accounts.  The problems comes in with shopping accounts.  I just don't shop places that REQUIRE me to sign in with a password and email address.  This creates an unnecessary password to remember.  Many places allow you to shop without having to do this.  

So, don't feel "bad" for me that someone would have to steal my information from my home (don't know how you came to that conclusion ~ but you sure went there quick) from a notebook I write down all my passwords in.  No one from any tech company would tell you to write your passwords down on a piece of paper or book and tuck it away safely.  This is especially true for older Americans.  The safest place would likely be a safe deposit box in a bank.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I have a six by three address book from the old days. I keep my password into in it. I don't have many though. Not worried about someone finding it. 

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@glb613 I have a good memory, yes.  I don't have that much going on my life where it has come to the point of having to write down important passwords (such as how to get on the SS website); banking, and other important accounts.  The problems comes in with shopping accounts.  I just don't shop places that REQUIRE me to sign in with a password and email address.  This creates an unnecessary password to remember.  Many places allow you to shop without having to do this.  

So, don't feel "bad" for me that someone would have to steal my information from my home (don't know how you came to that conclusion ~ but you sure went there quick) from a notebook I write down all my passwords in.  No one from any tech company would tell you to write your passwords down on a piece of paper or book and tuck it away safely.  This is especially true for older Americans.  The safest place would likely be a safe deposit box in a bank.

You must be joking.  Do you honestly believe people are going to a bank and access their safe deposit box for a forgotten user name and password?  That's not happening. 

The point I was trying to make sure you have access to your user names and passwords in case you have computer problems. 

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I was forced to write down all the information when I worked.

We had so many log in layers, it was crazy.

There were also other apps specific to my job to log in

The good news is, most of them stay open all day until you log out but a few were on a timer, after a certain amount of time, you would get bounced off & have to log in again

I had to write it all down, then did the same with my personal accounts.

The same here. My last job had nineteen log-ins and passwords that were all unique. And you had to change each one every thirty days. It would take a good twenty minutes or longer each morning just to get all logged into everything you'd need. Some of the programs would log you out if you didn't use it for fifteen minutes, so you were nearly always logging back into something. Not the most productive system in the world. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

You must be joking.  Do you honestly believe people are going to a bank and access their safe deposit box for a forgotten user name and password?  That's not happening. 

The point I was trying to make sure you have access to your user names and passwords in case you have computer problems. 

Indeed @glb613 all of your nice green font writing for naught.  It was a snarky joke (safe deposit box).  Don't worry about "my passwords and user names."  I'm good. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life