Trusted Contributor

We typically buy used cars as well and that one sounds like it is POSSIBLY a good/great deal. But find out why is "used." If it was never sold and was simply driven by the dealer's sales team then technically it's a new car. We wanted to buy one of those with 2000 miles but the dealership was insisting it was "new" and wanted us to pay full price for it. No way am I paying for new car that they drove around for awhile. On the other hand, if the price was right I would definitely consider it. I'm sure you still get all the warranties but make sure.

If someone actually bought it already and then traded it in I would be leery. Did they discover something was wrong and then brought it back? Or did the person perhaps have a personal/financial emergency that required they turn it back in?

I would definitely have my own mechanic check it over if that's an option. If it's not an option I would pass.

KJPA
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sounds like it was either a demo or a loaner car for customers who are getting repairs but need a loaner car. Check the carFax and if it is clear - i would jump on that deal before it disappears.

Valued Contributor

You dont need to have a mechanic check it, its under warranty. 880 miles means its probably a salesmans car or demo car.

It should still hold the warranty.

Super Contributor

I appreciate hearing all the positive feedback about used cars. I never would have considered used before.

It's a 2014 Nissan Sentra. I don't need anything higher-end than that. I'm a low mileage person and it's just for running around locally. I've had two previous Sentras and love them. I don't know if I should also look for a less expensive make. A Hyundai??

I've had the same mechanic for 25 years, so I will take it to him if I decide on this one. As far as manufacturer's warranty? Again...{#emotions_dlg.blush} don't know. I will ask. And I will find out why it is used and how.

I don't have any knowledgeable car friends who could come with me. I recently lost my partner.

Super Contributor

I don't care that when you drive a NEW car off the lot, it's then an used car.

Nor, do I care that it loses it's value when you drive it off the lot.

I have had 3 used cars and Many new ones and I will take a NEW on ANY day over a used one. I am in the market now for a new one. I have had 4 Nissan Maximas (one of them was used because a man pulled out in front of me and totaled my first one). I want another one or a Rogue. My 2000 Maxima has 132,000 miles on it. I have never had a car with that many miles on it, (i am 64) !!

I we are planning on getting a new one probably the middle of next year.

Go to the dealership at the end of the month, or better yet, at the end of the year. They are really trying to get rid of them at those times.

Trusted Contributor
On 7/28/2014 focksie said:

I appreciate hearing all the positive feedback about used cars. I never would have considered used before.

It's a 2014 Nissan Sentra. I don't need anything higher-end than that. I'm a low mileage person and it's just for running around locally. I've had two previous Sentras and love them. I don't know if I should also look for a less expensive make. A Hyundai??

I've had the same mechanic for 25 years, so I will take it to him if I decide on this one. As far as manufacturer's warranty? Again...{#emotions_dlg.blush} don't know. I will ask. And I will find out why it is used and how.

I don't have any knowledgeable car friends who could come with me. I recently lost my partner.

Focksie, the Hyundai is a great vehicle with very good warranty. My son has had 3 of them and their warranty helped him out a couple of times.

Valued Contributor

Nissan has a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty, so you are good to go with the warranty. As far as value: look at Kelley Blue Book & enter all the cars info, that will give you a fair trade value for dealer and non-dealer pricing. Also, ALWAYS get a CarFax. CarFax will tell you if the car was involved in an accident (& also oil changes, etc) however and can't tell you the current condition of the cars mechanics, etc. You can always take it to your mechanic, personally I would just to be sure even if it only has ~900 miles.

Last year I was car hunting and I came across the newest model of Nissan Maxima with less than 100 miles. Of course I still got a Car Fax and still brought it to my mechanic. Car was fine but I wanted to be sure. The car brand new was over $30,000 and I got it under $20,000. Great deal!

Super Contributor
$2000 is not much of a stretch. Is this the first dealer you have been to? If you let them sit a while, they usually call you in a couple of weeks and try to deal with you. In my experience used cars are very expensive now. I'd rather just buy new unless I was getting it from someone where I kind of knew the history of the vehicle. My husband just trade in a 2003 Avalanche we bought used in 2006. It had almost 300,000 miles on it. I can say he took especially great care of it as it was a work truck. If you're keeping the car a long while, I buy new.
Super Contributor
On 7/28/2014 Rocker said:

I don't care that when you drive a NEW car off the lot, it's then an used car.

Nor, do I care that it loses it's value when you drive it off the lot.

I have had 3 used cars and Many new ones and I will take a NEW on ANY day over a used one. I am in the market now for a new one.

Are you in the market for a new car because you refuse to drive the used car that's sitting in your driveway?

Esteemed Contributor

First, u should go thru Costco.com or AAA.com or other sites like CarsDirect.com to buy a new car at fleet price. You pay a few hundred dollars for this service and they purchase the car u want with a big discount. The service goes directly to the manager of the car dealership in ur area - so the salesmen's commission is saved. You don't get involved. You are very uneducated about buying a car (like I and most people are) - so I also suggest u go with a friend or family member who knows a lot about cars. You would go to a car dealership in an outlying area to see the car ur interested in, prices, model, color, etc. Once u know what u want - then u would go thru the service. Always have a used car checked out by another body shop - I recommend u go to one of the AAA body shops. Locations are listed on their website. They hook up the car to a machine and it tells u immediately what's wrong. CarFax is never up-to-date - so it's a guide but many problems are never listed - like if the car was in an accident on in a flood (hurricanes), etc. Remember - salespeople are always nice when u want to buy - once u buy and get a lemon, they're not ur friend. I own a Honda Accord, 1987, and it's still going strong. I luv Hondas.