Super Contributor

Did it work CharmTX? It sounds like you retrieve the PIN, the promotional minutes, and then use it to add to your current phone just as if you purchased a card.

It would make sense to purchase a bundle when they have >1200 mins for $100 because that's what you get with the card if you triple. Then you could sell or give away or just keep for backup the new phone. But I wonder what happens if you try to put the mins. on a doubler phone.

Contributor
On 9/17/2014 pickleslarue said:

Did it work CharmTX? It sounds like you retrieve the PIN, the promotional minutes, and then use it to add to your current phone just as if you purchased a card.

It would make sense to purchase a bundle when they have >1200 mins for $100 because that's what you get with the card if you triple. Then you could sell or give away or just keep for backup the new phone. But I wonder what happens if you try to put the mins. on a doubler phone.

pickleslarue, I tried this and couldn't make it work. I ended up having to activate the new phone to get my promotional minutes. I was hoping for more clear instructions, but it didn't happen. I almost started a new thread begging anyone for clear instructions on how to do this. I wish I had just spent more and purchased a card to add the minutes to my LG840.

Super Contributor
On 9/19/2014 CharmTx said:
On 9/17/2014 pickleslarue said:

pickleslarue, I tried this and couldn't make it work. I ended up having to activate the new phone to get my promotional minutes. I was hoping for more clear instructions, but it didn't happen. I almost started a new thread begging anyone for clear instructions on how to do this. I wish I had just spent more and purchased a card to add the minutes to my LG840.

That's too bad but I'm glad you didn't lose the minutes.

So, you got the promotional minutes PIN and then tried to add time to your 840 with it? What did it do? It sure sounded like it would be fine {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I don't recall if you mentioned the new phone is the Optimus 39c or some other smart phone. I wonder if it makes a difference in using the PIN across feature to smart phone types.

If it is the 39c I think you will love it. I went from the 840 to it and have been very happy. We have a thread going to discuss the phone. It might be helpful.

If you didn't transfer you ph# or don't mind changing it, I think you can still return the new phone if you really dislike it even if it's activated.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/10/2014 Tgbtg said:
On 9/10/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/8/2014 Tgbtg said:
On 9/8/2014 Stargazer77 said:
On 9/8/2014 kachina624 said: I buy a new Tracfone every year when someone has a "deal" on them. I put the minutes on my old LG840g, and ditch the new phone. It's too much trouble switching all my contacts over and the old phone works perfectly so why change? I use my phone for about $7/mo.

Could you tell me how exactly you do that? My grandma has the Big Easy Tracfone (the one with the larger buttons). I bought it last year for her from HSN and set it up. Her year just came due so I bought the same thing (it was on sale for 40 dollars, 1 year of service and 400 minutes), and I switched everything over from the old Tracfone to the new Tracfone. I would love to be able to just add minutes and time to her existing phone like you did.

By the way, if you ever decide you'd like a new phone, you can use Bluetooth to send your contacts over from your old phone to your new phone. It's pretty simple.

I'd like to know, too. I'm assuming you would just get the pin for the promotional minutes and then add it to your current phone via CS or online?

You can add min using your phone or the website or you can purchase an airtime card somewhere like Walmart that adds min. You DO NOT need to buy a new phone in order to get min. My DH does not use his phone much so he only buys the minimum 2 months airtime card (that includes the min) at a time. He usually gets them from walmart.

I think we were interested in how the poster applied the minutes to a current phone, because you can purchase phones with 1500 minutes for around $80. Since then, I have read that the non-smart phone promotional minutes are coded to only work with non-smart phones and can't be applied to androids.

This is correct. It states on the promotions that you can not double/triple minutes on smart phones. I have the 840g and my minutes transferred over and I got triple minutes when I bought the year service. I have over 2200 minutes now and renewed my phone for another year. I will one day get a smart tracfone, but I only use mine now for emergencies or as a second phone should my landline go down. The online process was very easy and fast.