Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@x HedgeI'm giving Tracfone a try just because I know if I have to I can go back to Verizon which I like because I can always find a real person to answer questions.  Right now I'm in Florida and there are 2 Verizon stores within 3 minutes of home -  one is better than the other, but both are better than the call I made yesterday to Tracfone before I came here and found you and others who gave me far more helpful answers.  Thank you.

I should have realized their CS might be bad.  During Superstorm Sandy, my Verizon cell wouldn't work (just my kind of Droid) and they were overwhelmed and couldn't fix it immediately.  I bought a Netflix10 phone/account so I could communicate.  Absoluitely the worst CS I've ever had in my life - owned by Tracfone.

I'm willing to try again, this time cancelling Verizon which will more than pay for the trial. But I'm also willing to bet I'll be here reading the Tracfone threads and asking questions during the months I pay for this phone.

Tracfone is not a US company.  English is not the first language of many people who buy service or provide CS. It is based in Mexico or South America. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

Please don't say the Tracfone CS is bad, I've absolutely had no problems what so ever.  I got them on the phone numerous times and I believe you can also chat online with them.

Once your phone is activated, it operates just like any other phone.  You have a quick guide to refer to and seriously I use it to text and call, that's it. 

The main problem is remembering to charge it but other than that, for basically $100 a YEAR vs, paying $200-$300 a month, I'll take the

tracfone any day.   No huge cell phone bills for me, to me, that's crazy.

I have a Verizon plan for my cell and home phone for $109 a month.  You don't have to spend a fortune if you don't want. 

@glb613, Thanks for making the point. You don't have to spend a fortune if you dont want. (Or CAN'T )

I can only speak to my own costs, but you are paying more than $100.00 more than I am each month for phone service.

Thats over $1,200.00 a year.

I look at that as the difference between do-it-yourself customer service versus pay-someone-else customer service. Financially, I have to choose between do-it-yourself or do without. The "pay-someone-else" prices aren't an option for me.

@Just Bling,  I've had some excellent customer service from Trackfone. Some so-so. Some very bad.

The last time I had a problem I couldn't resolve myself was a transmission technical glitch due to having two TracFones side by side, both on WiFi and using the Tracfone app at the same time. (Don't do that!)

Everything from phone-2 , including the phone number, was mistakenly transferred to the primary Tracfone, and the secondary phone was deactivated! 

I chatted online with a Tech. I would have wound up with a deactivated phone, lost all my minutes, and lost all my Airtime if I had accepted what the Tech told me.

But thru experience, I've learned to take a picture of the widget showing date and minutes BEFORE adding minutes, airtime, doing any updates or anything else that has the potential for error.

Their Tech insisted I'd requested my phone be deactivated, and claimed they kept NO RECORDS showing whatever minutes or airtime might have been on there.

I told him I'd taken a picture of each phone's widget showing date&time, Airtime, and minutes on that phone just before this had happened. I offered to share my photo-information with him if that was necessary to restore both my phones. There was a pause. My phones were restored.

In all fairness to TracFone, this could have been any servive provider. Tracfone offers real advantages, but as a general rule, I approach their CS cautiously, with the assumption that I know more about their business than they do.

@Kachina624 i always feel so bad you sent your phone back to them. That "refurbished-exchange" is one of the biggest complaints. 

Occasional Contributor

You don't need a pin.  The Welcome Guide Under 2. "You do not need to provide a Service Plan PIN" it's already there.  All  you need is the Serial Number on the red Start Here card.