Trusted Contributor

I am considering getting a Tracfone as a cheap altermative to give to one of my kids.

My question is - if you make calls through Apps not the phone button do those count towards your total minutes if you are connected to WiFi?

My son currently uses one of our old iPhones and will talk to his friends through Instagram while on WiFi.  Since they sometimes talk for hours I'm curious how fast we would go through those minutes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tracfone Call Question

[ Edited ]

Google your question: Tracfone if you make calls through Apps not the phone button do those count towards your total minutes if you are connected to WiFi?

Click on Tracfone WiFi Calling - How it Works and ... - TracfoneReviewer to read about it at Tracfone Reviewer-blogspot.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 

This is just my take on this. If an "app" requires the user to be Online, internet connections use up customers "Data", unless they are connected to Wifi. Using Wifi does not reduce the "data" number. When connecting to "cell towers" their "minutes" are reduced. 

We have had Tracfone for a decade or more, but I have never used an "app", fact I barely use the phone. My reply is my logical deduction from what I know about "data/minutes and expiration" dates with Tracfone. Am I correct?  Beats me, I am using only my logic in relation to the topic about the internet and Tracfone.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Tracfone Call Question

[ Edited ]

@hckynut 

It says from the info I posted above says Tracfone does support WiFi Calling, but only on some smartphones, and certain BYOP devices. It appears to depend on the phone and your location, as not all the networks Tracfone users support WiFi Calling.

There's more info at the site telling you how to check your phone requirements or using Google Voice.