Valued Contributor

Tracfone Bring your own Phone program?

[ Edited ]

I have had ATT for the last two and a half years. I get no service at home without using a Microcell, which I didn't realize when I signed up with ATT. So, now my phone is paid for and I can unlock it and bring it to Tracfone, I believe. Has anyone done that? How quickly and smoothly did it go?

Respected Contributor

Re: Tracfone Bring your own Phone program?

@Marybella   Well, sort of.  I had been a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go for many years before I got my first Tracfone 2 years ago.  I had to enlist the help of a Tracfone rep to get my old phone number transferred.  I did buy a new LG phone that had come with the 1-year package of minutes/talk/data.  Keep in mind that Tracfone is only the provider and is only pay as you go.  They will allow you to choose whatever carrier network is best in your area.  My choices were AT&T or Verizon.  I chose Verizon because lots of my friends have it.

I've never heard of anyone bringing their own phone, only their phone number.  I just upgraded to a newer model LG and got the phone plus l year service 1500/1500/1500 for only $59 through HSN.  Just the 1500 min/talk/data normally costs $125 to renew for one year.  If you use your phone a lot, Tracfone may not be the best choice.....it depends.

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

I have an iPhone 6plus that I transferred from ATT to Tracfone.  I also transferred my number.  No problems at all.  It might have taken a couple of days before the number was ported over, and I was very careful to follow the instructions so that I would be sure to get to keep my number.  

I encourage you to go for it!

Super Contributor

Know who provides service for Tracfone in your area before you switch. A coverage map is not what you need to check either. You need to call or Live Chat with Tracfone (or any other potential pay-as-you-go service) and find out who that service piggy -backs off of for service. At my mom's house in Gloucester, VA Tracfone uses the Verizon towers. If they used any other towers, she would get no service at her home. So, this is something to definitely check.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies. I am a former Tracfone user who went to ATT a couple years ago. Bought a new phone with them, but now want to go back to Tracfone. I really like the Samsung Galazy S7 that I bought  and will plan to bring that to Tracfone. My husband has Tracfone and he can get a decent signalat our house, where my ATT can't. His towers are Verizon, so I'm sure I would be using that, as well. Happy to hear that it went well for LovesWesties who did bring their own phone.

Valued Contributor

@Marybella , Tracfone nearly exclusively uses Verizon towers for smartphones. You need to be sure the phone works with CDMA network to use Tracfone.  Your ATT phone would be GSM compatible.  I understand some phones work with either network. I think you will have to talk to someone at Tracfone.  The are horrible to talk to....be sure to call during regular business hours during the week.

I think you will need to know which network your phone has.

I understand there is a special number to call at Tracfone so you can reach an English speaking person who is well trained.  Maybe someone here can tell you what that phone number is.

Honored Contributor

@JGalt @Marybella 

customer support for Tracfone in Miami,Fla.

Mon.-Friday hours 9am-6pm Eastern time

1-800-876-5753

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Esteemed Contributor

@Marybella wrote:

I have had ATT for the last two and a half years. I get no service at home without using a Microcell, which I didn't realize when I signed up with ATT. So, now my phone is paid for and I can unlock it and bring it to Tracfone, I believe. Has anyone done that? How quickly and smoothly did it go?

You can find a link on the Tracfone site "bring your own phone".

Valued Contributor

@JGalt wrote:

@Marybella , Tracfone nearly exclusively uses Verizon towers for smartphones. You need to be sure the phone works with CDMA network to use Tracfone.  Your ATT phone would be GSM compatible.  I understand some phones work with either network. I think you will have to talk to someone at Tracfone.  The are horrible to talk to....be sure to call during regular business hours during the week.

I think you will need to know which network your phone has.

I understand there is a special number to call at Tracfone so you can reach an English speaking person who is well trained.  Maybe someone here can tell you what that phone number is.

@JGalt Thanks for this information. I don't know if it would work. I'll call and ask.

Valued Contributor

@cowboy sam  Thank your for the number!