Frequent Contributor

TracFone--Purchasing Data Only

I bought the recent TracFone TSV primarily to use for internet since we've given up our home internet service.  I share a TMobile account with my husband who doesn't want to change and we have unlimited phone, messages, and data on that account but the internet service through them isn't good at my house, so I got the TracFone that uses Verizon service and reception is great.

I needed to add more data and had previously checked around and Wal-Mart had a 2 GB data card for $30, but I checked the TracFone site yesterday and they have 1 GB for $10. That seems like a fantastic price, so I wanted to share it because I know it wasn't that price last time I checked and don't know how long it will last.

Hope this helps somebody.

Jane

Honored Contributor

Re: TracFone--Purchasing Data Only

At one point I had to buy extra text minutes and tracfone was the best price.

Honored Contributor

Tracfone dropped the price for the 1 Gb data card quite a while ago.  I don't think it's a promotional offering; it's just the price now.

They also dropped the price for 1000 texts, from $10 to $5.  They just get better all the time, IMO.

As they become more popular, they're able to offer better deals.

Honored Contributor

Now if they'd just offer service time without having to buy minutes. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624

Go to tracfone.com and put 1000 text messages in your cart.  Go to proceed to checkout.  At that point a message will come up stating;

Do you want to add 365 Service days for $49.99 in addition to the plan you are buying?

The reason I mentioned to get the text messages is because that is the cheapest thing they sell so you can get the "add on" item of 365 Service days.  So in the end it costs you $ 54.99 for 365 days.  Hope this helps!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I use the method described by @lizzys to add a year of airtime without having to buy any minutes or data. I never chit-chat on the phone, using talk minutes for business only. But I go thru thousands of texts.

Adding a year of airtime for $49.99 and 2000 texts at a time every couple months gived me reliable phone for about $100. per year after the original purchase year.

I add the year of airtime about 3 weeks before my airtime expires "just in case" there's ANY difficulty, and I have to actually talk to their customer service

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Alajane, I too have seen Trackfone cards, still with old higher prices, in a few stores.  I bought cards like that only when I was still using a flip phone.

There is a no refund policy on cards, and as long as I can occasionally get to a PC I will only buy directly from the Tracfone website. 

Unfortunately, Trackfone users who never view the website may not be aware of the choices and lower prices that went into effect in 2016.  

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  @Lizzy E  I've written down those directions and will give them a whirl next time my service date comes near.   I did go on the website one time and found a year for about $50.  A day or two later it was gone. 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Jane, the prices for data and texts have been competitive for some time. It took a while, though, for the reduced price cards to make it into stores (I don't purchase through TF's website). I get mine at Walmart. Here's a tip: If you dont see the data/text cards in the Electronics department, go to the "Wireless Store" located somewhere along the perimeter inside most of their superstores--they're ALWAYS there (unless they're sold out lol).

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

When my year of service is close to ending I just buy a new phone and get the promotional time that comes with it, which has always been more than adequate for my needs. I keep accumulating time so right now I have about 3000+ of talk,text & data plus service until July 2018 so around june of 2018 I will buy a new phone. Gosh, who knows what they will have by then.