Respected Contributor

Re: Today's WWDC (Apple Event)

You mean it's supposed to tell time?  I didn't know that.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

New Mac Pro

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at Mon, Jun 3, 2019-2.28.43 PM.png

Now has wheels & 3D vents.

Cost=$6K faint.gif

Yeah, six thousand dollars is kind of pricy. It's kind of hard to spend $6,000 to build a computer these days. Even the higher end CPU's like AMD's Threadripper or Intel's 9900k are selling for around $500+. GPU's like the 2080 can be had for $700 give or take a bit. Memory, case, hard drives, motherboard, power supply would all come in under $1,000. So for around $2,200 you can build a state-of-the-art computer these days. Add in custom watercooling and RGB lighting and you could bump that up to three thousand or so, still half the cost of the Mac Pro. I'll have to look up the stats to see what you're getting for the $6K, but it's hard to imagine anything you can't do for half that price.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the updates, @Mz iMac!    I like the Ars Technica website -- they have some great articles with details about each of the changes.    Here's a general link to some of their recent tech articles:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Wow! Their new Pro Display XDR is more than a tad pricey at $4,999 then another $999 for the stand? Is there something built into the stand that I'm missing? It just looks like a chunk of metal and since the monitor can be wall-mounted, I'm assuming there's no hardware in it. Nearly a thousand dollars for a stand seems just a tad pricey. I guess people will buy it anyway, but wow!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

CNBC talks a lot about FTC concerns with some of the companies, like Apple and Google who have these platforms that they consider to be monopolies.

Lots of chatter about this yesterday.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Kudos to Apple on one thing and that's exploiting the tech reviewers. Most of the bigger tech reviewers will be buying their new stuff just to review it. Linus of Linus Tech Tips was saying they'll be buying the base model of the new computer, monitor and even the $999 stand to review them. Total cost? Over twelve thousand dollars! (Linus did not look happy talking about it.) Given the number of tech reviewers out there these days, much of Apple's sales may just end up going to them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac , thanks!  LM