Esteemed Contributor

Re: Telephones With Call Blocking

@chickenbutt, the "out of area" calls are a real PITA, especially the ones that don't reveal a number, but there are some agencies that will only display out of area as a matter of privacy--DSS and domestic violence agencies in NC is just two agencies that does that.  I'm pretty sure there are others.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@NickNack, if it blocked your number as it should have I doubt there is anything wrong with the phone.  The other number getting through has something to do with them.  I'm not positive but I think there are some numbers that cannot be blocked.  I have a very vague recollection of reading something like that but I can't make a context connection.

I don't know if it holds true to all Panasonic phones with 250 number blocking but the model I have, KX-TRG350 series, has a setting to not even allow that one ring.

Was the "Police Assistance" call from your area code? 

@Marp    Thank you for the tip about setting the phone to not allow the first ring.  Mine worked for that, too.  Yes, the Police Assistance call was from my area code.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I bought the Panasonic Phone Set on HSN in a champagne color a few months ago.  It came with the base with the answering machine and three cordless handsets that also can Call Block. It can block 250 numbers. I also went into settings and put to only 1 ring and it stopped a week after I had it. Now I just smile. I forgot to push Save after I blocked a number and the same number came through one time. Now I hit Call Block and then Save and have no problem with it coming through again. Maybe we have the same phone. This is the best phone I ever owned. I may buy another one for my son and his family.

Esteemed Contributor

When our old cordless phone died, we got a Panasonic with call blocking as we were getting a lot of robo phone spam on our landline. We set the phone not to ring as the same phone spammers would call nearly every day. Just blocking them with the phone company's software only blocked them from leaving a voicemail but did nothing to keep them from calling and getting the phone to ring when we had our old phone. Setting the new Panasonic cordless phones not to ring after blocking the numbers has been a godsend.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

When our old cordless phone died, we got a Panasonic with call blocking as we were getting a lot of robo phone spam on our landline. We set the phone not to ring as the same phone spammers would call nearly every day. Just blocking them with the phone company's software only blocked them from leaving a voicemail but did nothing to keep them from calling and getting the phone to ring when we had our old phone. Setting the new Panasonic cordless phones not to ring after blocking the numbers has been a godsend.

@TY  I've gotten a lot less spam calls since getting my new phone, too.  It's been amazing really.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

A while back, on these threads, someone provided a free website that will block many robo call.  It works on many of them!!!  It will ring once or twice and then disappear - does not go to voicemail which is good.

The website is here.

Honored Contributor

@namaste000

i will check it out and yes i have heard about it a few years ago.

Thank you!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

@cowboy sam @namaste000 I am using Nomorobo and still get at least five or six calls a week on my landline phone. There were more at the beginning of the year but they subsided after my state's primary election. My fear is that after the two candidates are declared the calls will begin again fast and furiously.

@NickNack @Marp thanks for the info on the Panasonic phone. I have an older Panasonic phone now that blocks 25 numbers so maybe it's time for an upgrade.

I found a great app for cell phone blockage if anyone is interested.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Respected Contributor

I have a Panasonic phone which blocks just fine. Having said that, the scam artists have found a lot of ways to get around phone blocks, even the national block line. Also have on my landline system an auto block of any number which comes in without a NAME. Guess what, that too no longer works like it did at first. I have no clue how the scammers do it and even my phone company seems to be at a loss for explaining how it happens other than it is not suppose to happen. I figured out some but it was of no help as some numbers change the number you blocked by one digit and the call comes back in. LOL.

Honored Contributor

These Panasonic phones that can block 250 numbers - does anybody have the model number?  Are there any that don't have an answering machine?

I did find one that allows you to block 60 numbers, which is twice what mine does.  But it seems odd to me that most of the models seem to have answering machines when voice mail is included in landline plans now.  Last time I had an answering machine was decades ago!