Respected Contributor

TSV MacBook Air

[ Edited ]

They show the Operating System as OSX El Capitan.  BE CAREFUL!!!!!!  THAT IS OLD AND OUTDATED!!!!!!  

I have a iMac.  I am now on OS Sierra v.10.12.5.  The  website shows this OS on the MacBook Air, too.

I looked at the "Software Bundle".  It has stuff in it that I'd never use.  It has some kind of a "Mac Cleaner", that I'd be very careful of.  Mac computers take care of themselves pretty well.  I've never had to "clean" anything on any of the ones I've owned.

Valued Contributor

i know i would buy one from the apple store they may cost more but you get the apple care warrenty and people that can help you with your purchase. plus I know for sure as you said they are all outdated same with all the dell and hp computers they sell.

Esteemed Contributor

You can get the "Air" from Apple for $999.  Of course, no "extras", but I wouldn't consider them worthwhile.

And the OS is up-to-date, from Apple.  It's pretty easy to upgrade, though.

I just bought a new Mac, so I have been through the run down.  The Air hasn't changed in a few years, and may be on the way out. The new "MacBook" seems to be the latest thing, if you are into the latest and greatest slimline laptop.

That said, I love my Air.  It is still a nice machine.  I really did not see that the new display nor the "improved" touchpad made a huge difference.  Not worth hundreds, in my book.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I have yet to compare an electronics item on Q to the same item on the brand's website and find Q selling the current model.  It doesn't matter what brand....apple, dell, hp, etc etc, they're all old models.   I would never buy electronics from Q.

Esteemed Contributor

The guy selling the Air is stretching the truth, big time.  The display is not "retina", unless you evaluate the term and conclude that it cannot be defined. 

By Apple's own standards, that display is not top tier (though not bad).

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I looked at the manufacturer's website.  The MacBook Air displays on the new ones are not described as "Retina Displays". If he's using that term, he should'nt be.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

They show the Operating System as OSX El Capitan.  BE CAREFUL!!!!!!  THAT IS OLD AND OUTDATED!!!!!!  

I have a iMac.  I am now on OS Sierra v.10.12.5.  The  website shows this OS on the MacBook Air, too.

I looked at the "Software Bundle".  It has stuff in it that I'd never use.  It has some kind of a "Mac Cleaner", that I'd be very careful of.  Mac computers take care of themselves pretty well.  I've never had to "clean" anything on any of the ones I've owned.

If you did buy the TSV, all you need to do is get into settings and update the operating system.  I have a Macbook (2014) and an iMac (2013) and they both have the latest operating system installed.  I agree with the others and I wouldn't overpay for an older model.  But, you aren't stuck with an older operating system. 

Respected Contributor

The point is not that you're stuck with an older operating system.  The point is that if you're purchasing a new computer, especially a Mac, you expect it to have the latest operating system already loaded.

I upgraded to OS Sierra on this iMac.  It wasn't laborious.  It was very time consuming, but I'm glad I took the time to do i t.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

The point is not that you're stuck with an older operating system.  The point is that if you're purchasing a new computer, especially a Mac, you expect it to have the latest operating system already loaded.

I upgraded to OS Sierra on this iMac.  It wasn't laborious.  It was very time consuming, but I'm glad I took the time to do i t.

You can warn people from now until hell freezes over and it isn't going to change a thing.  People want EZ pay and there is no way to convince them to save their money or buy on time from Apple.  I bet the average uninformed buyer doesn't know or even care they are getting an older model. 

The point of my post is the let people know you AREN'T stuck with the older operating system.  All you need to do is get into settings and update. 

Occasional Contributor

Monday morning 10am Apple will announce their new and updated products. That's probably why Qvc had all those Apple Airs on to get rid of them for Apple.