Valued Contributor

Re: TABLET Poll

[ Edited ]

I have an iPad Air that I use to watch movies in bed or on trips. It's cellular or wifi and was my first Apple tablet. (Before that I had a Toshiba which I gave to a friend when I got the Air). Then I bought an iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd gen for putting music on. It worked great for that purpose with the original Apple pencil but I needed a bluetooth pedal to turn pages of the music. That is fine for choral music or piano, but I'm also an organist and harpist. What I don't need is another pedal at the harp and there is no way to do that on the organ, so I bought the 4th gen iPad Pro 12.9 for that music, along with the Magic Keyboard that Apple makes and the newer Apple pencil. The 4th gen has facial recognition and I can turn pages by moving my mouth. I absolutely love this whole set up. It's almost like a laptop. All are cellular optional, and the sim card from one is interchangeable with the others. 

Briggsie

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Love my iPad. I have a question off topic. Can I use an Alexa with an iPad and no prime account?

@godi  You have to have the Amazon Fire tablet to use Alexa since it is an amazon product.  You don't need a prime account to have Alexa just a regular account works.  I have the Fire 8 plus tablet and love it.

Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

Love my iPad. I have a question off topic. Can I use an Alexa with an iPad and no prime account?

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that.  But you can use Siri on your iPad.  I don't use either so I don't know the similarities and differences. You might try Siri and see what you think.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I'm on my third Kindle.  They're great, they do everything I need to do.  I am thinking of getting a Chromebook though.  Would like a larger screen and keyboard.  Our computer is so slow it's unusable.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I'm on my third Kindle.  They're great, they do everything I need to do.  I am thinking of getting a Chromebook though.  Would like a larger screen and keyboard.  Our computer is so slow it's unusable.

@MoJoV 

I brought a Lenovo Duo Chromebook for my grand-niece for remote learning. I just happen to find it online at Best Buy. It is perfect for a 10 year old. The 10.1" display is a little small for my older eyes, and I use a large Samsung tablet. 

I didn't know anything about this device, and found two YouTube channels for information 

Chrome Unboxing and My Next Tablet. 

These channels may help you to start looking for a product. 

Trusted Contributor

I hate tablets. I don't like the format of pages because you don't really see the whole page.

It is just me though. I love my desktop.

My son in an engineer and works on a 13" Microsoft Surface. I have no idea how he does it. When he is in his office he has 3 monitors and all of them are connected to his surface so he is technically looking at 37" inches of monitor screen, but he is using a tiny keypad from his very expensive Microsoft Surface.

In real life, he can do absolutely everything from his phone! One handed no less.  He doesn't even need a tablet. I could never do that.

My ex husband runs a 700 kid elementary school totally on an iPad. That blows my mind. He is the Principal and does everything he needs on an iPad? Including his yearly budget. That seems crazy to me.

Contributor

I must have had every tablet known to women [LOLWoman LOL...] none of them take the place of a Chrome book to me. I have the Vankyo tablet 10 inch which I like very much. The CS is great. I had  ordered a 8 inch Vankyo for my daughter and she loves it as well. I find Chrome books more responsive. Even my Samsung was not as responsive as the Chrome book. JMHO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@godi wrote:

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that.  But you can use Siri on your iPad.  I don't use either so I don't know the similarities and differences. You might try Siri and see what you think.

You can now use Alexa directly on your iPhone or iPad, via the Amazon app. ... That includes scores of internet services, the ability to play Amazon Music, read Kindle books, and, of course, control an ever-growing roster of Alexa-compatible smart home devices.  Mar 16, 2017

You will need an Amazon account, not Prime, to use it.  Most people have one already!

Esteemed Contributor

Fire 8( not plus) is currently on sale by Amazon for $59 ($30 saving).  I use this exact tablet ( with ads on opening screen only ) and am very satisfied.

Honored Contributor

For me, iPhone and laptop are absolutely necessary ... tablet not so much.

I would never have purchased one .... but I got a free tablet with my previous iPhone several years ago - Asus brand.  

Since my Kindle isn't color - I use the tablet for KIndle craft books where color is necessary.  

Occasionally use it for Zoom meetings when I don't want to sit at the computer.  

So - it's useful, but not necessary.  

For anything that requires text entry (typing), I use the laptop.