Trusted Contributor

Switching cable providers question

I have had such bad reception problems with AT&T and it being down all the time that I am thinking of switching to Spectrum. What happens to my email account with AT&T? Can I keep it?  Does AT&T send someone to pick up their equipment or do I have to send it somewhere. Appreciate your answers.  I should be saving $50 on more channels plus 3 movie channels....win-win.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Switching cable providers question

@geegerbee wrote:

I have had such bad reception problems with AT&T and it being down all the time that I am thinking of switching to Spectrum. What happens to my email account with AT&T? Can I keep it?  Does AT&T send someone to pick up their equipment or do I have to send it somewhere. Appreciate your answers.  I should be saving $50 on more channels plus 3 movie channels....win-win.

@geegerbee

You'll lose the AT&T e-mail account and you'll need to mail in their equipment (they should send you packaging more than likely via UPS or FedEx)

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

Hope you're in a covered area for Spectrum @geegerbee.

Time Warner Cable Spectrum Coverage Areas by State

2.4% of Alabama | 2.5% of Arizona | 38.9% of California | 0.3% of Colorado | 95.8% of Hawaii | 9.3% of Idaho | 9.8% of Indiana | 21.6% of Kansas | 62.9% of Kentucky | 77.1% of Maine | 1.9% of Massachusetts | 0.1% of Michigan | 11.8% of Missouri | 20% of Nebraska | 10.2% of New Hampshire | 2.3% of New Jersey | 1.6% of New Mexico | 56.7% of New York | 69.3% of North Carolina | 80.2% of Ohio | 2.9% of Pennsylvania | 34.4% of South Carolina | 0.8% of Tennessee | 44.2% of Texas | 0.6% of Virginia | 0.4% of Washington | 3.9% of West Virginia | 42.8% of Wisconsin

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

Depending on how old your equipment is, you may be advised to send it back or toss it out. If you're advised to toss it out, I'd put it in a closet or garage for a while (3-6 months) just to be sure they don't bill you for it. If they want you to send it back they'll likely send you return mailers or advise you of a local location to drop it off.

As to email accounts, as long as the account is active most providers allow you to keep using it. It's smarter though to set up a neutral site like a gmail, yahoo, or hotmail account and transition your email to that site. Once you finally get everything moved, your old account will become inactive and then will be shut down. Most providers though will keep your old email account active as long as it's being used. (Check the terms and conditions on the AT&T site for more details however about your specific provider.)

Just be forewarned that Spectrum, while offering great rates up front, tend to be a bit vague about what happens to your pricing down the road. Every provider faces roughly the same costs so when one provider is offering you a much better deal, they're likely planning on getting that money back from you on the back end or in some other manner. Take a long hard look at their terms and conditions on their website before committing to anything.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is NOT true that you would have to lose your ATT email address.  Should you choose to keep it, you can.  I did have to return their equipment, or be charged for it but it was no problem.  IIRC they sent me a label so it didn't cost a thing but a trip up the street to the UPS store.

I recently changed from ATT to Charter/Spectrum - well, over a year ago.  It's so much better.  But I did choose to drop my ATT email addresses in lieu of my new ISP.   To be honest, I'm very glad I did.  ATT seems to take an attitude when you drop them and as soon as I did, my level of spam emails went up about 5,000%.  It was horrible!    

I was so glad when I got everything moved over.  BTW, have not had one spam email since I changed to Charter.  Plus, the service is much better, faster, and more consistent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

@geegerbee, I know you didn't ask but here's my two cents. Spectrum isn't that great! I have problems with their service, they must be tired of me calling so often. Also when your promotion year is up, your bill goes up. You have to jump through hoops to renegotiate a better price. I would leave them but don't want to go through the trouble, and I think all the providers have their issues. Oh, also if you want multi room DVR, they don't offer it anymore. I have it because I'm grandfathered in from Time Warner Cable.