Honored Contributor

Strange pop up...advice please

I have a Mac Book air...it is kept up to date.  The last two weeks I get a pop up window....reads....Apple wants to make changes and asks for my password.  

This is odd but is it legit?  I have to keep hitting cancel and sometimes it disappears other times, safari closes down.

Any advice?  Should I follow the prompt?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Strange pop up...advice please

You can call Apple to make sure.  If not they will give you a pshing email to send the page to them. Go to the Apple website to get the number.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't give anyone, even Apple, my password.  If you do, they have access to everything on your computer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No way would I be giving anyone my password.  Apple shouldn't need it to make any updates to your system.  Microsoft never asks for that information and they're able to update their own software.

Definitely notify Apple about this.

Honored Contributor

I went to the apple web site and posted the question...they gave me a case number.  I will call tomorrow, thanks all!

It's just so weird...just started happening out of no where.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I went to the apple web site and posted the question...they gave me a case number.  I will call tomorrow, thanks all!

It's just so weird...just started happening out of no where.

Absolutely it's a scam.. Apple would never send an notice like that.  Glad you reported it

Honored Contributor

I have been dealing with this for a year, please explain what you were told to stop it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest   If you have a Mac, go into your browser(s) Preferences & make sure "block pop up ads" is enabled.  Sorry, I do not know how to do that on a PC.

Mac or PC/Windows:  Install FREE ad blocker apps & "Extensions/Add-Ons from your browser(s) Add-On store.

I personally use Ad Block Plus which can be used on both Macs & PCs/Windows.

Mac:  After doing the 1st 2 paragraphs, run Disk Utility First Aid & restart your computer.

If you have Malwarebytes and/or EtreCheckPro, run them both after restart to make you no longer have any adware.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac  I finally had time today to call Apple...I had malware.  The associate was on the phone with me for 45 minutes, she was great!

We did the screen share thing and ran a scan....and then eliminated the malware.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest , see my reply to @mspatmac