Frequent Contributor

Facebook Messenger Question Help!

I have a facebook account with a few friends and not real savvy with Facebook.  I received this from messenger this morning from one of my Friends.  Could someone please explain the message below which was forwarded to me and tell me whether I have to do anything.....Sorry I seem so clueless. I am inclined to ignore it....

Be careful:  I got a message from you or it shown on your wall here.  Pleae tell all the contacts in your messenger list not to accept friendship request  from XXXXXXXX (name not incuded for this posting).  She is a hacker and has the system connected to your Facebook account.  If one of your contacts accepts it, you will also be hacked, so make sure that all your friends know it.  Thanks.  Forwarded as received.  Hold your finger down on the message.  At the bottom in the middle it will say forward.  Hit that then click on the names of those in your list.

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook Messenger Question Help!

[ Edited ]

That is a fake message delete it.  Probably a hacker do not do anything it says.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

@Imaoldhippie thanks!  I deleted it.

Honored Contributor

Correct, @Imaoldhippie.   It's a hoax.   @maisiebrook, When you suspect a hoax or scam, try a copy-and-paste of part of the text and search the internet.   Most often, these canned hoaxes have been around a while and you'll get a long list of sites warning about them.

The Google search for "She is a hacker and has the system connected to your Facebook account.  If one of your contacts accepts it, you will also be hacked, so make sure that all your friends know it" generated a multitude of articles.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@maisiebrook , be very careful not to click on links and do mass forwards from your FB account.

The one you refer to was a pretty common hoax.  It was on my FB page as well.  Better safe than sorry!  LM

Respected Contributor

i've gotten the same message from a couple of friends this last week or so.  i just ignore. 

Trusted Contributor

@maisiebrook:  Thanks so much for posting this. I have facebook expertise similiar to yours and I received this message last week as well and did not know what to do. Now I will just ignore it.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The other thing I'd add is a suggestion that rather than ignoring the message it might be a good idea to gently explain to the sender/poster about the hoax, maybe provide a link to one of the articles that explain what it is.   That helps slow down the spread of this junk.   Thanks for the thread, @maisiebrook!   It's a good heads up and reminder for all of us.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova