Contributor

My trusty flip phone is slowly dying.  I want to move on up to a smart phone.  I just need to know what to look for.  I don't need bells and whistles.  I just want a good entry into this arena.  Help.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Smartphone for Dumb People

Costco sells one that can be connected to any carrier (around $200).

Honored Contributor

@fritzee.  Target carries Consumer Cellular phones which cater to non-tech savvy senior adults.  They have superior customer service in case you have trouble.  They have different models with various levels of complexity.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Jitterbug Smart2

greatcall.com/phones/jitterbug-smart-smartphone-for-seniors

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@fritzee  Interested in what you select. I have Lupus and cannot use a smart phone due to my fingers locking up. So, I've gone back to my flip phone. But I miss having a camera! The other features aren't really necessary to me. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I also still have a flip phone because when I'm out and about I don't hang on my phone but I haven't been entirely pleased with reception and thought upgrading to a smart phone would be the solution.  A few months ago I bought an older model Samsung for around $79. I chose it because hundreds of reviews were excellent and specifically said reception was great.  When I took it to my carrier whatever they did to test it out told me that the reception would be no different from my flip phone because of too much geograpical interference so I wound up returning it.  I would recommend doing what I did. Go on Amazon and read reviews.  I'm sure you can get a no frills phone for under $100.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

My phone, plus all expenses needed to use it, costs me about $100. per year.

@fritzee, it all depends on how you will use your phone.

Are you a big-time talker?

Do you text? Will you be using your phone for email? post and shop here? etc...

You can't begin to compare smartphone offers until you assess your own phone use. Then buy what will best suit how you use a phone.

With some carriers, talking has become the most expensive way to communicate on a phone.

Honored Contributor

@fritzee wrote:

My trusty flip phone is slowly dying.  I want to move on up to a smart phone.  I just need to know what to look for.  I don't need bells and whistles.  I just want a good entry into this arena.  Help.

@fritzee

Good question.  I am thinking about doing the same thing!  I don't want anything complicated or expensive either.  I keep seeing ads for Consumer Cellular and they claim you can get unlimited texting and talking for $25.00 a month.  Don't know if this is true, but if so, would be perfect for me.  I don't know what kinds of phones this would include but might be worth looking into.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I've been very happy with my Samsung Tracfone android.

You can't find many smartphones without bells & whistles, don't use them.

Get the best phone you can afford.  Ignore what you don't want to use.

E232572 is a good one.

You can buy them anywhere, Walmart, Target, Best Buy

I like a Tracfone because there is no monthly charge

You pay as you go.

I love Samsung products.

You can also look at an iPhone.

Respected Contributor

@fritzee wrote:

Look into a Tracfone if you don't think you'll use the "smart" part of the phone much.  They are reasonably priced and you pay as you go.  Just because a phone has all of the "bells and whistles" doesn't mean you have to use them.  I understand you wouldn't want to pay a lot of money for a phone if you won't use all of the features.  But, you might surprise yourself as to how much you do use the "smart" part of a phone once you get it.