Frequent Contributor

I am looking at purchasing a smart tv.  I have been looking at Samsung's 5200 series.  Are you really able to browse the internet on these televisons?  Is there a better way like Roku?  I am new to this kind of technology.  Thanks for any guidance!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Smart TV question

[ Edited ]

@LORIO wrote:

I am looking at purchasing a smart tv.  I have been looking at Samsung's 5200 series.  Are you really able to browse the internet on these televisons?  Is there a better way like Roku?  I am new to this kind of technology.  Thanks for any guidance!

I recently bought a Samsung JS9000 series TV set. The 9000 is the top Samsung series with only the 9500 model higher than our 9000.

The 5200 series does have a web browser so you should be able to access the full Internet with this series. Not sure what processor this model uses, if it is "dual core or quad core". Our 9000 model has an "octacore" processor, which is an 8 core. I would make sure it has "JS" in front of the 5200, that way you will know it is a 2015 model, not an older version.

Have never used Roku so can't help you with that issue. Love our Samsung and have yet to see any other 4k model brand that is even close to the picture quality of our Samsung.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your help!

Frequent Contributor

Just purchased a Sumsung 5200 series 40" Smart TV.   Yes you can browse the internet.  My suggestion is if you are going to use it a lot for the internet is to get a wireless keyboard.  Using the remote an on screen keyboard is very slow going.

This TV was a breeze to set up.   I was concerned because the TV I had was very old and was leary of setting up a new one.  Took it out of the box pluged in my cable and it connected to my wireless internet immediately after turning on.   Of course there were some updates that needed to load.  Love this TV, sorry I took so long in deciding to buy one.

Honored Contributor

Re: Smart TV question

[ Edited ]

What's holding me back about a Smart TV is what I've heard about it being able to record your conversations??  I've read it on here and in articles.  Also that sometimes apps pop up out of nowhere when you're watching regular tv.  Qvc had a Samsung on last Thursday or Friday that looked interesting.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Frequent Contributor

I have not had apps pop up while watching TV.   Regarding buying one, look at your local stores.  You will get a better price than at QVC.   I got my at Sam's club.

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

What's holding me back about a Smart TV is what I've heard about it being able to record your conversations??  I've read it on here and in articles.  Also that sometimes apps pop up out of nowhere when you're watching regular tv.  Qvc had a Samsung on last Thursday or Friday that looked interesting.

@Mmsfoxxie We just bought a lovely Samsung Smart TV but we're keeping it "dumb" and not connected up to the Internet. Of course this is partially due to the fact that our Internet connection is rather slow where we live. If we move we may connect up its "smart features."

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

You heard that where?  The TV would need a microphone and a recording program or app installed.  Don't be paranoid. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Our last TV was a smart one also. Had it and 3 smart bluray players for years, never seen a popup yet.

I have checked every Samsung I have seen sold on HSN/EVINE and QVC and I have yet to a 2015 model. I even called HSN and told them they were saying false information on their presentations. They were telling viewers that the 7000 series was Samsungs Top Series and model. The 8000 and 9000 are higher with the 9500 being the Very Top. They quit saying it in all the shows I DVR'd after my call.

I hate false advertising and since I was shopping Samsung I knew what models/series had what features.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor
Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Well you shouldn't and your crazy to think a TV is gonna Be recording you, lol don't worry about stuff like that if you have nothing to hide...