Honored Contributor

I hope someone can answer this.

I never had any problems with Skype using my Mac.  A few days ago this started & I can't figure out why!

I call my GD - I can see her BUT I have no camera on my end.  Just black box.  I checked all the settings & called Apple support.  They can't help me as Skype is a 3rd party application managed by Microsoft.

I shut down, re-installed, etc. still blank☹️

Although, my Skype works fine on my iPhone & Ipad.  Any suggestions?

thank you!!!

Contributor

Re: Skype ? (Apple can't help!)

Sorry. I am not tech savvy so I really can't help you. I would suggest that you ask Google why your camera isn't working on your Mac when you Skype. I use Google anytime I have questions and need answers. Hope you find the answer. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

Reset your SMC if zapping the PRAM does not work.  For instructions visit Apple's Knowledge Base.

It would help if you tell us which MAC you have, which OS you are using as well as Browser & its version.  Need this info because.....

**Zapping the PRAM & resetting the SMC or SMU are different for iMacs, Notebooks & laptops.**

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Somehow I’m afraid that for me, “zapping the PRAM” wold take far too much of a toll on my limited physical resources.

Maybe when it starts to warm up a little outside and I get some new vitamins. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac

I'm not sure of what IOS but I'm sure it's the most recent since it updates automatically.  I have no idea what SMC or PRAM is.

I will check out the reference you gave me & I have Apple support so I'll call them again.  I'm not that tech savvy and would probably be better letting them take over my computer & fix it.

Thank you!!!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

If you are still under warranty, it is best to let Apple handle it.  However, Skype is not an Apple product=3rd party. 

Apple tech may refer you to the Mac Skype forums. The helpers there are very knowledgeable.

FWIW....

You stated iOS.  iOS is for mobile devices.

OS is for computers.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I hope someone can answer this.

I never had any problems with Skype using my Mac.  A few days ago this started & I can't figure out why!

I call my GD - I can see her BUT I have no camera on my end.  Just black box.  I checked all the settings & called Apple support.  They can't help me as Skype is a 3rd party application managed by Microsoft.

I shut down, re-installed, etc. still blank☹️

Although, my Skype works fine on my iPhone & Ipad.  Any suggestions?

thank you!!!

I'd uninstall Skype then reinstall it. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone!  As I stated - sadly, I have these state of the art "technology" & have no idea how to fix, troubleshoot, etc.

I contacted Apple (spoke to James) he had the patience of a saint!!!!  He took over my screen (and I will add I kept telling him I never put/picked password 🙄 Poor guy said yes you had to for ICloud.  After figuring this out -- like trying to get into Fort Knox🙀 he continued).

Well, Everything is fine & updated on my IMac. It's the Skype program & my sons outdated windows -- not sure if this is the answer, but, he helped me uninstall & reinstall Skype, yet, suggested asking her parents to update the windows program they use.

thank you again & of course, Apple is 💯+ in CS IMO!