Honored Contributor

Re: Several Friends Bought Smart TV's

@Kachina624 

Are you saying you do not use the remote for your Samsung TV? You are actually pushing the buttons, or soft touch, on the TV set itself?

When on an antenna, just like with cable or satellite, you can use a "favorite channel list". Some systems you have to "remove what you don't want". On others you have to "add what channels you do watch".

Every TV set for many years, that uses an Antenna for viewing, has a whole bunch of channel numbers, but few are actually viewable. You have to run something called "auto program", or something similar, so it will lock onto the stations your antenna is able to pick up. From there you can either pick the sequence of channels by removing some, or adding, whichever way it calls for so you only pick up your selected channels. 

Did you just get this Samsung TV? If so I imagine it came with the skinny remote with very few buttons on it. Our main 65" Samsung remote has only 9 buttons on it(2 of which I barely call buttons) the  it has your: <left >right ^up and down control.

Gotta see how you are doing this and see how you went through your Antenna set up.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut.  I use nothing but the remote to operate the TV.  It has lots of functions, buttons.  The TV is about 4 years old.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Have you searched on YouTube for an instructional video for that TV?  YouTube seems to have a tutorial for everything.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

Not sure of your remote. We have 3 Samsungs. A 37" that is 10 years old, it has a " too many buttons" remote. We have a 40" that is about 5+years old and our main 65" 4k that is a 2013 model. The last 2 have the remote I mentioned. I have no idea what model you have. All the Samsungs I have looked at have the remote I mentioned, very few buttons.

All TV sets have some type of Menu. Some call it "Source or other names, even Home". 1 of them buttons has to have a "settings option, might not even call it that, just to confuse people". But a way to set up TV sets goes back to the old ones with a "numbered dial knob on them".

You have to find that and a 4 year old TV set should have at least 3 options. Antenna(might say in)/Cable/Satellite. 

Choose the Antenna and see what options are there. It should have "Auto-set(or something similar). The TV then goes through, on it's own, and locks onto channels it can pick up.

From there you either "remove" the channels you don't watch, or! Some have you pick "favorites(who knows what they will call it)", it is just channels you want to watch. You may have to ADD each channel you want in that list and "save", probably with a choice of a name you want, or 1 they list.

About all I can tell you. If you didn't get an owners manual, go to SamsungUSA and find your model. You can then download a .pdf file of the owners manual.

I will say, you are 1 of a small minority that uses only free Over-the-Air channels only. With a good antenna sometimes you can pick up quite a few channels.

Now I got to figure out how the he!! I am going to get to the ice rink tomorrow. Barely got home yesterday in a blinding snow storm driving our tiny Toyota gas mizer. Getting out of our roads is the BIG problem. The highway and other roads are alright, most of 'em. 

My wife is in another city Pet Sitting and she has our All Wheel Drive big SUV. Already shoveled our sidewalk, but since our gravel road ain't been plowed, I am stuck. Gotta figure a way outta here I hate to miss a skating day, since this shutdown cruup, rink isn't open to Public that many days.

Stay well Merry Christmas you and yours,

hckynut  

hckynut(john)