Honored Contributor

I have had the same Tracfone for five years or more (I still get triple everything). I didn't have the need to use it much, I just bought more airtime. Now I feel I will be using my cellphone more, I'm looking to move away from Tracfone. I have been looking into Mint Mobile (I don't want to spend more than about $25 a month). My question is, should I purchase a phone from the company I go with for my cellphone plan or buy a cellphone from let's say Amazon or Best Buy? I definitely need a new phone as my cellphone is getting on in years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Saying Goodbye To Tracfone

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have had the same Tracfone for five years or more (I still get triple everything). I didn't have the need to use it much, I just bought more airtime. Now I feel I will be using my cellphone more, I'm looking to move away from Tracfone. I have been looking into Mint Mobile (I don't want to spend more than about $25 a month). My question is, should I purchase a phone from the company I go with for my cellphone plan or buy a cellphone from let's say Amazon or Best Buy? I definitely need a new phone as my cellphone is getting on in years.

@Jordan2   DH and I are using 21 yr old flip phones and don't see us changing to other cell phones in the foreseeable future.

Honored Contributor

I recently replaced my former phone and carrier, and went to Spectrum.   Full service and phone (not a tracphone), and the monthly is $12 and some cents.   In addition, the phone was way way less expensive than the last one I bought (both are Samsung Galaxy phoens).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would buy a new phone.  I would buy from Best Buy. That way you can get questions answered and if you see something you like you can always check Amazon and see if they have something similar for a better price. I love technology and like to have something new. I like to play with new features and stuff. I currently have an iPhone 12. I'm surprise a 21 year old cell phone still works.

Honored Contributor

I said goodbye to them a few years ago, horrible customer service !!!

Honored Contributor

I've never had a tracfone.  I purchase my phones off Amazon and buy them unlocked.  I simply pay for my phone and then shop around for a carrier.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI from Tracfone you can buy for $199.00 (+ taxes) 365 days of service, unlimited minutes & texting plus 12 gb data (4LTE).

I wanted to put my business number on an iPhone and red pocket mobile offered a great deal on buying the phone. However, the phone won't be unlocked for 2 years. There are monthly unlimited plans starting at $20.00 per month.

In my area, Spectrum offers low monthly phone service ONLY when it is bundled with another service.

Consumer Cellular is highly rated. If you are a member of AARP, there is a 5% discount each month.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2. As another poster said be sure to get one that is unlocked

That way it doesn't matter which provider you choose to go with or if you switch providers later to get a cheaper rate. Also be sure to get at least a 5G phone. Some providers are not or in the future won't support phones less than that.  I got a letter from T-Mobile that I must now upgrade to a new phone because they won't support my Samsung phone after Dec 31 because it's less than 5G.  (I'm mad, my phone is perfectly good and now I need a different one!)Judging from commercials, Verizon is 5G now and giving people phones with a trade-in because it too upgraded.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Jordan2. As another poster said be sure to get one that is unlocked

That way it doesn't matter which provider you choose to go with or if you switch providers later to get a cheaper rate. Also be sure to get at least a 5G phone. Some providers are not or in the future won't support phones less than that.  I got a letter from T-Mobile that I must now upgrade to a new phone because they won't support my Samsung phone after Dec 31 because it's less than 5G.  (I'm mad, my phone is perfectly good and now I need a different one!)Judging from commercials, Verizon is 5G now and giving people phones with a trade-in because it too upgraded.

I feel your pain about having to change phones, from a perfectly good phone.    I was with Sprint, which was taken over by TMobile (which I hated).  When I got that letter that my perfectly good Samsung Galaxy S7 phone was going to be dead after 12/31, I took it as the last straw with TM and moved.  Sprint was perfectly fine until TMobile took over  (I was actually with Nextel until Sprint took them over ha!).  Got a new Samsung with 5G from Spectrum and saved a lot of money both on service and the phone.

Back to the point - I was also angry as my phone was perfectly good.  I take really good care of my things so it looked like new (the guy at Spectrum was shocked at how perfect it still looked!).   It worked perfectly. 

The other good part was that he transferred every single thing from my old Samsung to the new one, including email stuff, calendar stuff, all pics and docs, most of my settings, etc.   It took a bit but was well worth it.  I also keep an SD card in the phone and he moved that for me, too.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   $300 a year.  A tracfone is anywhere from $59-$199, so you are willing to spend more to talk more..............interesting.

I keep my calls short, seems like I get more headaches if I talk over 15 minutes, know one tells you anything but keeping phones next to your head foor a prolonged time can't be good.   I never had this issue with a dial plug in phone.