Regular Contributor

Samsung tv to turn on to cable tv option

Does anyone know how to set Samsung tv to turn on to the cable box option when turning on, instead of all the apps. It will default to the cable box after about 10 seconds now, but is there a way to avoid this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Samsung tv to turn on to cable tv option

[ Edited ]

Try this:

How to change Samsung TV Source?
  1. 1 Navigate to Menu on your TV screen by pressing the Home button on your remote control.
  2. 2 Select Connected Devices.
  3. 3 Choose the input source that is connected to your TV.
Respected Contributor

You need to change the "source."  If you don't know how to get to that option, go to YouTube and type in something like, "how to change the source on a samsung tv," and there should be a video that will correspond to how your screen looks.  The reason I can't give you more specific instructions than that is because we have Samsung TVs, and the start screen looks different according to the year they were manufactured.

Regular Contributor

I know how to change to source, and cable tv and app choices, but I'd like the tv to go directly to the cable tv when I turn the tv on instead of the app screen first. 

Respected Contributor

@Tag2020 wrote:

I know how to change to source, and cable tv and app choices, but I'd like the tv to go directly to the cable tv when I turn the tv on instead of the app screen first. 

If you have your source set to the cable box, the only option you have is to hit the back button as soon as the app screen comes on, and it will remove the apps from view.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you're not selecting 'cable' as your main power-up source. In that case the TV will default to an app or whatever it's set to.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tag2020 wrote:

Does anyone know how to set Samsung tv to turn on to the cable box option when turning on, instead of all the apps. It will default to the cable box after about 10 seconds now, but is there a way to avoid this?

What you want is for the default source to be the cable TV connection rather than the steaming source or apps when the TV is turned on.  My Samsung does the same thing I haven't found any way to change it.  Annoying is an understatement.  I found the answer.  Get into menu and find start screen option. 

"Using Autorun Start Screen Options on your Samsung TV
  1. 1 Press the Home button on your remote control and then head to Settings. ...
  2. 2 Navigate to All Settings.
  3. 3 Choose General & Privacy and then Smart Screen Options/Smart Features.
  4. 4 Here you can adjust the Start Screen Options for when your TV is turned on."

The other replies don't address your issue. This has nothing to do with the TV or cable remote. Follow the above instructions, get into the menu, find "Start Screen Options" and change it from the default to what you want.  There are three options with radial buttons.  Uncheck the ones you don't want.  I left one because I do stream on this TV and it is easier when that menu shows at startup. 

Super Contributor

Are you using a Samsung remote or your cable provider remote? When the Geek Squad set up my new Samsung in December,  he connected it to my Xfinity account and told me not to use the Samsung remote.  I have a button on my Xfinity remote labeled TV input.  When I hit that it gives a list of options.  Cable connection is checked on my list.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the remote that came with my streaming device (Directv Stream box) to control all of the main functions on my TV. I use it to turn on my TV and it automatically connects to the stream box. I don't have to do a thing except turn the TV on using my stream box remote control. 

The only time I ever use the remote control that came with my TV is when I need to make setting adjustments, which is hardly ever, or when my internet goes out for streaming and then I switch to antenna TV.