Honored Contributor

Thinking about getting a new phone .... and would like a larger screen.  I don't have a smart phone, as my laptop goes wherever I go, so I never needed one.

I know things change all the time, but right now, what is the largest size screen you can get on a smart phone?   TIA!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44...I don't have an answer for you, but I will be interested to read the replies.

I have a flip phone and like you my MacBook Air goes most places with me so it has served my needs very well.  My concern is getting used to a much smaller screen.

Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with every single smart phone on the market so I googled it. Here's the answer from Sept 2016

http://www.dailydot.com/debug/biggest-phones-in-the-world/

Personally I'd decide which OS I wanted first before size but do what you want. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Currently I have an old Samsung Note 3 and it has a 5.7 inch screen.  That is plenty big to read on and play games.

I think I have arthritis in my wrist and it now hurts my hand to hold it very long.  I'm thinking of going a bit smaller.  I sure wish I could try the Samsung 7 inch with a 5.1 inch screen and see if it would be big enough.  I think once you get one, you are stuck with it though.

Anyone know of a place you can take it back if you don't like it?

I think the biggest Apple phone is 5.5.  I would have to look that up to make sure.

They probably have them bigger than 5.7, but I woudln't want it bigger than that.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SMART PHONE QUESTION

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Thinking about getting a new phone .... and would like a larger screen.  I don't have a smart phone, as my laptop goes wherever I go, so I never needed one.

I know things change all the time, but right now, what is the largest size screen you can get on a smart phone?   TIA!

iphone 6s Plus or 7s Plus are  5.5". I have a Note 5,from 2015. It is 5.7"

Honored Contributor

Re: SMART PHONE QUESTION

[ Edited ]

@mima wrote:

Currently I have an old Samsung Note 3 and it has a 5.7 inch screen.  That is plenty big to read on and play games.

I think I have arthritis in my wrist and it now hurts my hand to hold it very long.  I'm thinking of going a bit smaller.  I sure wish I could try the Samsung 7 inch with a 5.1 inch screen and see if it would be big enough.  I think once you get one, you are stuck with it though.

I think the biggest Apple phone is 5.5.  I would have to look that up to make sure.

They probably have them bigger than 5.7, but I woudln't want it bigger than that.

@mima

I was thinking of getting a Tracfone first, and temporarily keep the assigned phone number for a couple months while I get used to this type of phone.  

Then if I think this will be a great tool, I would transfer my long time cell phone number to the Tracfone and cancel my Verizon service.    

Or maybe someone has a better way to dip my toe into the "smart phone water"?  lol

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 The apple 6S Plus is a great phone! It's big enough to use for internet access, but it's not too large. I highly recommend it.

Esteemed Contributor

@mima wrote:

Verizon gives customers only 14 days to try and return a phone.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@mima wrote:

@mima

I was thinking of getting a Tracfone first, and temporarily keep the assigned phone number for a couple months while I get used to this type of phone.  

Then if I think this will be a great tool, I would transfer my long time cell phone number to the Tracfone and cancel my Verizon service.    

Or maybe someone has a better way to dip my toe into the "smart phone water"?  lol

I would jump right into a real smart phone and skip the Tracfone. Research them and decide which one would provide the system you might like or need. They aren't that much different than the latest smart phone you would get through Tracfone unless you get an iPhone. I'm 66 and loved my new Samsung Galaxy S7 right off the bat. I didn't research beforehand, so I bought the one the salesperson recommended. He probably made more commission on that one! But, at the time, I was elegible for a Samsung Smart TV for free.

Valued Contributor

I have an I phone 6 plus and I love it.  I do eighty percent of stuff on my phone and about twenty percent on my desk top computer.  I don't want to lug a laptop of pad everywhere with me although I have them.  There is no reason for anyone not to have a smart phone now.  They come in all price points and have some great deals on HSN and QVC that bring them within reach of many consumers.