Valued Contributor

Request from Tracphone to replace

My husband has a tracphone I purchased in 2016 (Samsung) and has received texts from Tracphone that he needs to replace his phone.  His is 4G and and I guess they are changing to 5G and needs a VOLTE style.  His is a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, model #SM-S920L-03 - LTE . Both phones they are offering are LTE - one is $25.00, another is $75.00.  Has anyone that has an olderTracphone received this request and if so, what did you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Request from Tracphone to replace

@WORKING GAL   It's been my experience that when TracFone replaces a phone, in my case under warranty, they replace it with a piece of ******.  I'd just buy a new Smartphone.  What I'd question is the 4g which I understand is still alive and well.

Anyone have other information?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL I can not say about the Tracphone but VERIZON sent me a new 5g flip phone since I have been a long term customer.  After charging to 100%, the next morning it was dead and displayed to charge before you can power on.  It had lost the charge overnight with no usage, DO NOT get an ETALK flip phone whatever you do!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 @WORKING GAL  As far as I know 4g is ok.  I bought a new flip...yes flip phone for DH from ATT .  His old one was 3g.  ATT sent him a "free" 4g piece of junk to replace it.  I sent it back and just bought him a new phone.  He's too rough on phones to have anything more than a simple flip.  
DW

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL - Are you sure those texts are from Tracfone?  There's a lot of spam texts going out now and, if he's being asked to pay for this "new" phone, they're going to ask for his CC information or more.  Don't do it!

I have a Tracfone 4G and I've had nothing like that.

To me it has SCAM written all over it.  He needs to check directly with Tracfone before he does anything.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia- He called Tracfone and they said it is legit.  They said they could cut off his service some time in the future.  Tracfone is now owned by Verizon and he thinks they just want to sell him a new phone.  We won't do anything for now.  We are well aware of the scams going on.  Thanks for your concern. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have a Tracphone but could it possibly be a case where the phone, although a 4G, will soon no longer be able to be updated?  

Respected Contributor

I went through the same experience with AT&T last year, although I did not have a Tracphone.

Yes, they emailed me to say my phones would soon no longer be operative.

I saw that the "free" phones I was being offered had only minimal functions.

We went to Best Buy and found new 5G capable phones that we really liked. ( The phones in the AT &T stores were very pricey.)

The switch to the new phones was pretty seamless!