Super Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I love my iMac. All 27 inches of it.  But it is now over 11 years old (best computer ever) and no longer gets the new operating system updates so I think it's time to update.  I also bought a new, smaller desk earlier this year and the Mac is taking up a lot of space. 

My next computer will still be an Apple product.  No wavering on that.  

But I can't decide what I want.  I love the idea of a desktop, but don't want to spend the $$ for the 27 inch.  I could go to the 24 inch, but don't know that I "need" it either.

I am toying with the idea of a MacBook Air.  But I have some reservations.  One of the things I love about the iMac is that you plug it in and don't have to recharge it every day.  I already have to charge my phone, Apple watch and iPad every night.  Do I really want yet another item where charging it is a must.

Also, on my desktop, I love using a wireless mouse.  I am extremely slow, painfully slow,  on computers where you have to use the trackpad.  So I need to see if you can use a mouse with a MacBook Air.

If I go with the MacBook Air, it would stay on my desk all the time.  For use in the living room and stuff, I use my iPad.  

For those who have a MacBook Air, how do you like it?

I have both a 27" iMac and a 13" Macbook Pro.  I use the iMac 80% of the time.  Why?  I like the large screen. I use a mouse with my Macbook because I find the touchpad a pain in the rear.  There really isnt a right or wrong type of computer.  What you want to use is all that matter.  One thing I did this year, I bought Word for Mac.  I finally got tired of trying to make Pages work with Word. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh I love my MacBook Air!  I have one from 2012 and though it is still working, it was time to replace.  I just got a new one a few weeks ago and it's such a pleasure compared to the older one!...For one thing I don't have to charge it every couple of hours.  This newer one lasts much longer (according to Apple 18 hours).  The keyboard is new & clear (on my old one the keys were getting blurry), the touch pad is starting to go, etc.

That said, I use it all over the house.  I don't really care for a tablet and I also have a desk top (a Dell) that is also large (I don't remember the size right now) which is in the basement at my work desk.  I like my desk top too.

If I thought that my replacement computer was going to stay on my desk and I already had a tablet that I also use a lot then I would probably just get another desk top but the smaller size.....it's still has a much larger screen thant the portable MacBook Air.

Honored Contributor

My husband, definitely a BIGGEST is BESTEST type of GUY, was talked into a tiny little Apple desktop computer by our son, and HE LOVES IT. I THINK it's the AIR.

I use my iPads almost exclusively, so we maintain separate

happy camps, cyber wise.

I do a good bit of charging but it doesn't bother me, but he leaves his tethered all the time. HTH!

Honored Contributor

I can't help with the MacBook Air, but a couple months ago I just got another Imac desktop and I really love it.  As you stated, our other one was so old it was just not supported, so we had to get a new one.  If I were you, I'd stick with the Imac.  You seemed to be happy with it and you were comfortable with it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@gidgetghWe have a new MacBook Air with the M1 chip.  Never leaves our house.  Great piece of equipment.

We also have a 6 year old 27" iMac.  Probably time to start thinking about a replacement.  The new 24" iMac doesn't bowl me over.  It has much less storage as standard and much less RAM as standard.  For me, not an impressive offering.  I love the 27" screen because it offers the flexibility to do side-by-side work when I need to.

Go to the Apple website and check out the Air.  It should tell you if you can use a wireless mouse.

Honored Contributor

Hi all--- very interesting thread here--- have been thinking about a new computer from Apple--- have iPads and iPhone and HATE windows. I have a Lenovo laptop  now, which I love,  but the dang thing is 5 years old and is acting stupid. Microsoft Edge is horrible and the reason for my issues . It lives on my desk which is fine as I use my iPads a lot too. 

You have given me a lot of things to think about--- I read every post here.

thanks!!!

Super Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Hi all--- very interesting thread here--- have been thinking about a new computer from Apple--- have iPads and iPhone and HATE windows. I have a Lenovo laptop  now, which I love,  but the dang thing is 5 years old and is acting stupid. Microsoft Edge is horrible and the reason for my issues . It lives on my desk which is fine as I use my iPads a lot too. 

You have given me a lot of things to think about--- I read every post here.

thanks!!!

Why not back up your computer and do a factory restore?  It will take it back to its out of the box condition.  You can then either restore from your backup or manually reinstall what you want.  You'd be surprised how much "junk" gets on the machine and causes problems. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   I have always used Apple products, at work and at home.

I have a MacBook Air as well as a desktop for at home use, I only use the desk top when I work from home.  I love the Air, yes you do have to charge it but that is not an issue for me.

The track pad went bad on my older MacBook Air so I did use a mouse with it until I was able to get to the city to replace it.

I was concerned about having just a track pad when I originally purchased a laptop, but it was pretty simple.  I bet you'd get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Once we close our business, I will decide if I want an Ipad or continue to use a MacBook Air but that is a few years down the road.

Honored Contributor

@gadgetgal613 --- very good idea. My son has it right now . Said it is much better but still slow. Will ask him about that. I do have external hard drive that I can use to back it up too.

I just talked to him and he thinks what you suggested can't hurt. 

thanks---appreciate it

Super Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@gadgetgal613 --- very good idea. My son has it right now . Said it is much better but still slow. Will ask him about that. I do have external hard drive that I can use to back it up too.

I just talked to him and he thinks what you suggested can't hurt. 

thanks---appreciate it

Yes, you can use a portable hard drive.  If you use the back up feature which comes with the computer, it will create a file which will restore your computer.  You can also drag and drop or copy and paste only the files you want to save to an external drive.  You'll be pleasantly surprised how much better your computer runs once it's be stored.