Super Contributor

RAVE: Apple Customer Service :)

I just wanted to share my experience today with Apple Customer service at the "Genius Bar". I purchased an iPad 3 in June 2012 and also purchased AppleCare + (insurance). I was so happy to finally have an iPad that I carried it around like a newborn baby.

Last night, I discovered a hairline crack down the entire right side of the iPad. I was devastated! I knew I wouldn't have to worry since I had insurance but AppleCare + only covers two accidental incidents so I was disappointed thinking I would have to use one of them only two months into ownership. I have never dropped it or put a heavy object on it.

Anyway, I made an appointment online for this afternoon at the Genius Bar. I was checked in by an employee who took a quick look at my iPad and reassured me that it looks like a manufacturing defect that would be covered under warranty and not my insurance. I crossed my fingers and waited for the technician. He removed my iPad from the SmartCover and inspected it. He confirmed that it must be a manufacturing defect since there were no obvious signs of abuse like a dent near the crack. He went to the back and gave me a brand new iPad at no charge and he said it is covered under warranty, not insurance! I restored everything from iCloud so everything was back just the way I had it so I didn't skip a beat. He helped me wipe the memory from the old iPad and I was on my way.

I am really pleased by my experience with Apple customer service and how they stand behind their products. I wish more companies would follow suit!