Honored Contributor

I need a new phone desperately and I can't affordable an expensive phone and cellphone plan. I'm going with a Tracfone, but I have two questions. If you use up your minutes before your year of service, can you buy a monthly plan or do you have to just add 500 minutes for $10 ( I thought I read something that you couldn't buy a monthly plan)? Also, after your year is up, is the phone considered unlocked, can you take it to another cellphone carrier?

Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Tracfone Questions

@Jordan2 I would suggest taking at look at their website for detailed info.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Jordan2 I would suggest taking at look at their website for detailed info.

@Love my grandkids I looked on their website, but I'm not sure if my questions were addressed. 

Super Contributor

@Jordan2..I have the Basic Plan which is $99 for 400 minutes for a year..I never use up my minutes each year and just renew every year so I don't know anything about it being locked etc..The website says you can get an ADD ON and add benefits any time you feel the need for more...  $5 for 1000 texts, $10 for 500 minutes (as you stated) or $10 for more data. Not sure whether you can buy another Plan once you are already in a Plan..I would just buy the extra minutes as needed.. You could also buy the $199 a year plan and get unlimited talk and text.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 

1.  You can buy whatever you need. Just minutes, plans, auto refills, whatever suits the way you use your phone.

2. A TracFone is always a TracFone. It's never unlocked.

However, they do have a Bring Your Own Phone program.

Buy your own unlocked phone.

Use it with their service.

That can be transferred to another service provider in the future.

Respected Contributor

You could either buy more minutes or a monthly plan. You can take your phone to another carrier anytime you want. You don't have to wait until your year is up. 

Just buy another SIM card from the carrier of your choice. 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge It's just so much cheaper to buy a Tracfone with the minutes, texts, and data included. You buy the unlocked phone and it costs more for just the phone, then you have to get a cellphone plan. 

Occasional Contributor

If you buy a tracfone from QVC or HSN you usually get 1500 min, 1500 text and 1500 mb of data. It also includes 1 year of service. If you run out of minutes, text or data they have many plans available. At the end of the year you do have to purchase a service plan, but that will include minutes, texts and data. I don't think you can use the phone with another provider. I have used tracfone for about 10 yrs and love it. If you don't have high usage it is very affordable. The only thing I purchase is 1000 texts for $5.00. When it gets close to the end of my service year I look for another special on QVC or HSN and have a new phone. That is my cell phone cost for a whole year.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@x Hedge It's just so much cheaper to buy a Tracfone with the minutes, texts, and data included. You buy the unlocked phone and it costs more for just the phone, then you have to get a cellphone plan. 

Yes.  That's right.

You make a choice about what's right for you and your budget, just like everyone else.

Did I missread something on your original post?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Net52 

You can buy JUST a year of airtime for $49.

(no talk no text no data)

Don't have to buy a "plan" or replace a phone you like.