Honored Contributor

Re: Question on Owning A Tablet

I was answering all the people that are stating you need a home internet source and wifi. You don't need to get your connection from a home based system. I'm perfectly aware that 4G is an internet connection.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 jaxs mom said:

I was answering all the people that are stating you need a home internet source and wifi. You don't need to get your connection from a home based system. I'm perfectly aware that 4G is an internet connection.

You wrote:

"You don't need an internet connection at home, you don't need a wifi network"

which is wrong. You do need an internet connection if you want to get online at home . You may not have to have a cable internet connection with a wireless router. You can use a cellular connection if your device is 3/4G capable but it doesn't mean it's cheaper.

Honored Contributor

No it's not wrong. You don't need a modem or a router at home to get internet for a tablet. No one said anything about cheaper. I wasn't addressing cost. I was only correcting the misinformation that one requires a modem and router with wifi at home to get an internet connection for a tablet. You don't.

Considering that the OP stated her friend doesn't own a computer and doesn't have a modem or router it may not be any more expensive to just get the data plan for the tablet and have access all the time wherever she is instead of paying to set up a wifi network at home that she will only use for the tablet anyway and that only works at home. Plus it doesn't sound like she's tech savvy enough to deal with password protection and maintaining a wifi network.

Respected Contributor

You are still wrong making a statement you don't need an internet connection at home. You can't get online without one. Whether it's cable, DSL or cellular, it's an internet connection.
Regular Contributor

I think you guys are just getting too technical about the wording. I with jaxs mom on this one. Just semantics. You don't need to have a separate internet service at home with a modem and router, etc. You don't need a router and wireless internet (WiFi) in your house. If you have a cell connection that is enough. Or like me, I also have a T-Mobile Hotspot device so I can connect anywhere I can get a cell signal. I've used it to connect when my cable was out.

Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 glb613 said: You are still wrong making a statement you don't need an internet connection at home. You can't get online without one. Whether it's cable, DSL or cellular, it's an internet connection.

Then why did you only post about wifi and home networks when you initially replied to this thread, telling a story about how a friend had her home network set up? You didn't even mention 4G/cellular. It just further implied that she needs a home network.

And yes as volvogirl posted you can also use a hotpot device. I can create a hotpot with my iPhone but it doesn't sound like the OPs friend has a smartphone either.