Respected Contributor

Question for Tracfone Triple Minutes Customers

I know that Tracfone is no longer offering triple minutes to new customers, but if you bought your phone when the triple minutes program was still in place, will they still triple your minutes when you go to refill?

The reason why I ask is because I bought a $39.99 pay-as-you-go refill package and nothing tripled, even though it still says it will on the website.

IMO, if you bought your phone and were told that you'd get triple minutes, they should still honor that even though the program has been discontinued for new customers.

Would it be worth it to call customer service or is it tough luck for those who bought phones when they were still offering triple minutes?

Thanks for your help!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Tracfone Triple Minutes Customers

It was sold as triple min for the life of the phone so I'd say they will have to honor that,legally.

Respected Contributor

Yes, minutes should triple. Call cs.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently bought additional minutes.  They don't call it triple minutes, but the price for the amount of minutes I got was exactly the same as the price listed on my box for "triple minutes."

I believe the price for the minutes is the same, just naming it differently.  I got 600 minutes for $39.99 plus tax.  That is what is shown on the box the phone came in.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all, I appreciate your help.  All is well.  I bought the same package as Zhills, and because it didn't say 'triple minutes', I thought they weren't honoring their previous commitment to the triple minutes customers.

When I called Customer Service, they explained that the minutes/text/data were already tripled, as Zhills explained in her post.

I'm sad that they got rid of triple minutes for new customers, though.  It was a great deal.  Maybe they will eventually bring it back.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Regular Contributor

I bought a tracfone when it was TSV last November. It has triple minutes and my year is up in the middle of November. The phone serves my purpose. I know they will end up having TSV fracfones but they will not have the triple minutes. Would I be better off to just buy a phone card and add triple minutes to my phone or wait and purchase a new one without the tirple minutes but probably a better phone.

Trusted Contributor

If you have one of the phones that has "triple minutes," the "Pay As You Go" plans give you the same options as before (at least from what I can remember). It's just that the numbers shown have already been tripled. I always thought the whole "triple minutes" idea was basically marketing hype anyway. Whether I'm paying for one minute and getting two more free or paying the same amount for three minutes costs me the same. I do find it a bit deceiving that they show these plans being for "regular" phones. Since both of my phones are "smart" phones, I can choose from either the "regular" plans or the new "smartphone" plans, which do cost slightly more. 

I've had a Tracphone for many years. A couple of years ago I ported my landline number to a new phone I purchased. I  very seldom actually use either phone. But the cost for both is considerably less than what I was paying for minimal landline service.

@KATIE ANN Since I never even come close to using the promotional minutes, it's normally cheaper for me to just buy a new one when there's a "special value" that provides an upgrade to what I currently have. It's running Android Nougat. All the others I've seen being offered are still Marshmallow (and I think both of my phones are Lollipop). Plus it has a newer processor, more built in memory and a far better camera.

Whether or not promotional minutes transfer over has varied over the years. Unused airtime/minutes that you purchase to extend the ending date does. As I mentioned, I've never used all my minutes before the end of the year. Sometimes I've added more airtime to keep my phone active a few months longer until the price/features were right. 

I had just purchased airtime for both my phones to keep them active just a few days before I found out about the Fiesta 2. Since there's no deadline to activate my new phone, I just connected it to my wifi, downloaded my favorite apps and have been getting used to it. There are a few changes in screen appearance, but nothing that made me need to open the manual. 

I finally got to talk to customer service at Tracfone. The first person (Voice from India) told me that my triple minutes plan is no longer valid, I asked to speak to someone else who can confirm to me that Tracfone will no longer honored my contract that I purchased from QVC. The second person (Still voice from India) told me the same thing. I started to press the issue of bleaching the contract and bad business practice, then he told me to add my Airtime (buy plan) and IF the the triple deal did not kicked in, he can adjust my talk/text/data to Triple deal. I will add Airtime on April 15,2018 (a week before plan expire), let hope it will goes well.

Honored Contributor

@JESSILUwrote:

I finally got to talk to customer service at Tracfone. The first person (Voice from India) told me that my triple minutes plan is no longer valid, I asked to speak to someone else who can confirm to me that Tracfone will no longer honored my contract that I purchased from QVC. The second person (Still voice from India) told me the same thing. I started to press the issue of bleaching the contract and bad business practice, then he told me to add my Airtime (buy plan) and IF the the triple deal did not kicked in, he can adjust my talk/text/data to Triple deal. I will add Airtime on April 15,2018 (a week before plan expire), let hope it will goes well.

@JESSILU, I bought an airtime card about ten days ago from Target ( they had it in the electronics department not with the other gift cards). They sell two types of cards, one for just smartphones which don't triple the minutes and a basic card which does triple minutes if your phone has the capability. I bought the basic one, went online to Tracfone's website and everything tripled.

Valued Contributor

My Tracfone is a smart phone but is a triple minutes one.  I buy the regular cards (not the smart phone ones) from the Tracfone site and all the categories (minutes, text, data) triple like they are supposed to.