Valued Contributor

Question for Ring Cam Users or Tech People

Yesterday I set up the Ring Spotlight Cam and it worked excellent for a little bit and then noticed the picture was cutting out.  When I went to live feed it was showing a black screen and having trouble connecting to view on my phone. I did the test and I have enough internet speed. I went back on QVC's site and read some of the ring reviews and did a little online research and it looks like I need a wifi extender.  I have my original router as close as I could however I live in an older stone home and not sure if that could be interfering?  My question:  Should I buy a ring chime pro wifi extender that connects to all ring devices or just purchase a regular wifi extender? Any advice/help is appreciated!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for Ring Cam Users or Tech People

We had an issue with the furthest Spotlight cam from our router . It seemed our speed was fine and we had no issue with our router itself but our picture wasn't the clearest at times.  We noticed too everytime it rained, we seemed to have that cam go offline.

We called and expressed concern we had made the wrong choice in selecting Ring for our needs.  ( We own two Spotlight cams  and a stick up cam.) 

We had signed up for a year of the cloud service for our cameras , which gives you unilimited warranty.   I am happy to say they were excellent at helping resolve our issues.  They sent us a new Spotlight cam and label to return the old one but also sent us a free ring chime to extend our wifi . 

Call and speak to customer service and see how they will assist and what they offer before you spend any money.

Our issues were happily resolved  and I hope yours will be with no further cost to you.   HTH!

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Valued Contributor

Thanks Twocent for your response.  I went out and brought the Ring Pro Chime and just got done setting it up on my phone.  It said that everything was ok and my signal strength was fine but I'm still not seeing any live feed.  I'm going to try it again later on and see what happens.  I don't get why when I initially set it up I got reception and video for a short time.  I even tried it on my friend's phone and it worked briefly and then stopped.  I am concerned though about the rain issue and losing reception.  Well, I'll try it again and see what happens, however, I won't stress over it though.  I was actually presently surprised at all the cameras and do-it-yourself security systems at Best Buy.  If this doesn't work, I'll have to return and pay a little more money, but I'd rather do that for security and reliability.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Got the Ring Pro Chime up and running.  You had to set this up as a totally new setup through the app and you do have to wait for it to go through it's steps.  So it looks like the wifi extender definitely helped alot and it seems to be up and running with live video.  I tested it inside the house all night.  I seemed to be getting alerts with it detecting motion whenever someone in the house walked by.  However, the real test will be after I put it back outside on it's mounting fixture.  I just wish it was a little better made.  The plastic is very lightweight and strong wind and rain is a concern.