Honored Contributor

So I switched to Verizon Fios back in March from Spectrum. My service was working fine. Back in early May there was a widespread outage from Verizon (a truck pulled some wires down) it left thousands of customers without internet, phone, and tv for over 24 hours. Since then I have had trouble with my service. I have three sets hooked up (one is a multi room DVR which is fine) the other two sets are the exact same make model and year tv. The two same tvs upon putting the tv on, the screen goes black and the sound cuts out, the other set is worse, I get flashing lines that break up the picture, the picture goes out. After a while it stops. I finally got to speak to an actual person after many tries (with Covid-19 it is extremely hard to speak to someone). She was very nice, she walked me throught switching the HDMI cables and I rebooted the boxes. It seems to have helped with one set, but now the set that was worse, when I put it on there is no picture (it flashes) it does come on after a few minutes. I'm not sure when the cableboxes were installed the tech used new HDMI cables, he probably used what was already there. So in my long post, I get to my question, do you think getting a new HDMI cable would help with the connection, if so do I need to buy a certain kind?TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Question About HDMI Cables

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2  All of my HDMI cables are from Best Buy.  They have the gold tips ones.  Well, I call it gold.  Smiley Tongue  Never an issue w/them.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at Thu, Jul 9, 2020-5.48.56 PM.png

OR

If there is a Verizon store near you, take the damage HDMI cable there for a FREE replacement. 

OR

If you see a Verizon truck in your hood, do the above.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I switched to Verizon Fios back in March from Spectrum. My service was working fine. Back in early May there was a widespread outage from Verizon (a truck pulled some wires down) it left thousands of customers without internet, phone, and tv for over 24 hours. Since then I have had trouble with my service.

I have three sets hooked up (one is a multi room DVR which is fine) the other two sets are the exact same make model and year tv. The two same tvs upon putting the tv on, the screen goes black and the sound cuts out, the other set is worse, I get flashing lines that break up the picture, the picture goes out.

After a while it stops. I finally got to speak to an actual person after many tries (with Covid-19 it is extremely hard to speak to someone). She was very nice, she walked me throught switching the HDMI cables and I rebooted the boxes.

It seems to have helped with one set, but now the set that was worse, when I put it on there is no picture (it flashes) it does come on after a few minutes. I'm not sure when the cableboxes were installed the tech used new HDMI cables, he probably used what was already there.

So in my long post, I get to my question, do you think getting a new HDMI cable would help with the connection, if so do I need to buy a certain kind?TIA

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I read your post to DH, and he offered the following: 

He said your cable boxes are the likely culprit, and suggested you ask Verizon for new ones..

But, he suggested doing the following:

Did you try rebooting the cable box?  
Also, DH suggested switching cable that is on working TV, to non working one, to see if there is a change.  This way you can eliminate or confirm if cable is bad, before requesting new boxes.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I switched to Verizon Fios back in March from Spectrum. My service was working fine. Back in early May there was a widespread outage from Verizon (a truck pulled some wires down) it left thousands of customers without internet, phone, and tv for over 24 hours. Since then I have had trouble with my service.

I have three sets hooked up (one is a multi room DVR which is fine) the other two sets are the exact same make model and year tv. The two same tvs upon putting the tv on, the screen goes black and the sound cuts out, the other set is worse, I get flashing lines that break up the picture, the picture goes out.

After a while it stops. I finally got to speak to an actual person after many tries (with Covid-19 it is extremely hard to speak to someone). She was very nice, she walked me throught switching the HDMI cables and I rebooted the boxes.

It seems to have helped with one set, but now the set that was worse, when I put it on there is no picture (it flashes) it does come on after a few minutes. I'm not sure when the cableboxes were installed the tech used new HDMI cables, he probably used what was already there.

So in my long post, I get to my question, do you think getting a new HDMI cable would help with the connection, if so do I need to buy a certain kind?TIA

@Jordan2 

Not exactly sure of what you are asking. Are the 2 TV sets you mention connected directly to the FIOS DVR, or are they some sort of wireless connection? 

What source are the HDMI cables coming from, a box or what? HDMI cables have to be coming from some devices "output ports", thus directly connected via HDMI.

It sounds strange to me that 2 different TV sets would have the same problem with bad HDMI cables. Sounds more to me the problem is more related to "the source"(where the cable running to the TV set is coming from).

Could it be your that your HDMI  input on your TV is not synched to the correct port, and/or you possibly selecting the wrong HDMI port when trying to watch it?

The more info you can give me the better. I am not suggesting you are doing anything wrong, I am just trying to get more specific info from you.

All HDMI cables are connected via an "HDMI Output from 1 source" directly to an "HDMI Input on another device", in this case it would be your TV sets.

Best I can do with this info,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut both tv's are plugged into HDMI2 which is correct. I don't see how it can be the boxes, I only have them since March 17 of this year, they are also the newest boxes they carry. I don't think the cables are new, I'm pretty sure they're the same ones that were there. Like I said my tvs were working fine from March til the beginning of May before the outage. I think I'll get an HDMI cable, they're not that expensive, it can't hurt to try. Also since I didn't purchase the $25 a month protection plan ( my bill is $210 I couldn't really afford the extra $25 a month) if the technician finds the problem isn't theirs, they charge $99 for the call.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 

Power outages are much more likely to destroy electronic devices than they do cables. We have had a lot of power outages since we have lived here.

One of them fried our Dish Network Hopper. It had to be replaced and we lost hours of DVR recordings we had saved on its hard drive. My wife went nuts, me, just not happy.

Someone mentioned to take the HDMI cable that is running to your working TV set, and try it on 1 or both of the non working ones. If you still have the same problem, it more than likely has nothing to do with any cables.

I have had HDMI cables go bad, but it's age had nothing to do with it. One our cats somehow bit through the outer insulation, which caused interference(probably a short)when watching a Bluray DVD. That HDMI cable ran from my Bluray player to the TV set.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 

Verizon's FIOS cables are all underground.  Their truck more than likely knocked down some electrical type wiring.  Anywho.......

"it left thousands of customers without internet, phone, and tv for over 24 hours."

You should call Verizon billing.  Give them the date of the outage.  You will be credited/not charged for that 1 day.  The credit will usualy show within 2 billing cycles.  Make sure you get a CASE #.  Keep it handy until you get your credit.

"if the technician finds the problem isn't theirs, they charge $99 for the call."

I do not know why they tell people that.  No where on my bill statement does it state that. 

I have been w/Verizon for over 15 yrs & never paid for no technition.  99.9% of issues that cannot be solved over the phone will be taken care of by an in house tech w/o charge as the fault is always theirs (old equipment, defective boxes & cables, gas company sliced an underground cable etc.)

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  the outage wasn't an electric one, I had power it was an outage of my Verizon services. I'm going to buy a cable, if that doesn't work I'll to have a technician  take a look. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2

When you go to Best Buy take an old cable which will help you select the correct size.

The store should have a Dynex brand hdmi cable for fair price. You can check your local store online. The cable come 6 or 12 ft. A 3ft cable is too short. 

This should be a simple black cable. Please do not allow BB to sell you an expensive cable. 

I buy Amazon Basics cables. This Dynex one looks the same.