Trusted Contributor

When i tried to get on QVC.com last night, I got a scary warning that something/someone might be trying to direct me to a fake site that was not really QVC, and my browser refused to navigate to the QVC site. It said it might be a problem with the server (QVC's, I guess) or some kind of malware. First time I've seen anything like that. My virus protection software indicated that security was up to date and OK with my computer.

Things seem back to normal this morning. I wonder if QVC was hacked last night?

Frequent Contributor
I kept getting that warning, too. Saved me money as I would have bought more Josie Marin products.
Honored Contributor
On 8/27/2014 GoodStuff said:

When i tried to get on QVC.com last night, I got a scary warning that something/someone might be trying to direct me to a fake site that was not really QVC, and my browser refused to navigate to the QVC site. It said it might be a problem with the server (QVC's, I guess) or some kind of malware. First time I've seen anything like that. My virus protection software indicated that security was up to date and OK with my computer.

I got that too, yesterday afternoon. What was even worse was that, after that happened (on my newest computer with Win8), I got two different BSOD error screen pages. When I left that computer last night it seemed everything was ok but then those BSOD screens were happening, well, out of the blue. I wrote down the error messages just in case. Each time there was a completely different error message.

Gotta love the new, Win8, BSOD screen. It's so polite. hehe - I had not seen a BSOD since Windows98SE.

That computer is only two months old and has yet to have a single problem until I tried to come here yesterday afternoon. I just hope nothing bad happened. I tried everything I knew to try to make sure things were ok, in addition to running scans, but I'm nervous about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the Q message on my computer all afternoon and into the evening! I did call CS and she stated "they were fixing the problem.' But, my thought is this - if a company knew that there was going to be work done on the website - fix/update/maintenance - wouldn't it be more prudent to schedule the work during the late night hours?? Many viewers purchase thru the computer during the day, I am sure there are not as many buyers throughout the night. Just thinking.....

Super Contributor

Why don't they have a sandbox site to mess with, so they can see how their alterations will affect the actual site, rather than messing with the actual site?

Trusted Contributor
On 8/27/2014 chickenbutt said:

I got that too, yesterday afternoon. What was even worse was that, after that happened (on my newest computer with Win8), I got two different BSOD error screen pages. When I left that computer last night it seemed everything was ok but then those BSOD screens were happening, well, out of the blue. I wrote down the error messages just in case. Each time there was a completely different error message.

Gotta love the new, Win8, BSOD screen. It's so polite. hehe - I had not seen a BSOD since Windows98SE.

That computer is only two months old and has yet to have a single problem until I tried to come here yesterday afternoon. I just hope nothing bad happened. I tried everything I knew to try to make sure things were ok, in addition to running scans, but I'm nervous about it.

Sorry, but I don't even know what a "BSOD screen" is! Like Chickenbutt, I hope nothing bad happened to compromise my computer's (or my) security! Everything seems to be running fine today. Does anyone here know any more about this kind of thing?

Honored Contributor

Those redirect messages weren't indicative of malicious software. They were SSL certificate errors, and some computers sensing a certificate problem might've reacted to protect the user. Obviously, QVC uses a content delivery/distribution network (CDN) to provide access with numerous servers located across the country (one reason some people saw the runtime errors and others didn't).

It appears their servers are working now, but history tells us it's only a matter of time before the next problem shows up. I'm wondering when they'll start to care about the highly unprofessional image they present with such an unreliable website (not to mention the money they lost yesterday when the shopping site was unavailable).

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Sorry, but I don't even know what a "BSOD screen" is! Like Chickenbutt, I hope nothing bad happened to compromise my computer's (or my) security! Everything seems to be running fine today. Does anyone here know any more about this kind of thing?

BSOD sounds technical and fancy, but it's just "blue screen of death". We've all seen it. It's not supposed to happen anymore, but QVC have special magic powers that transcend time and space.

Honored Contributor

GS - Sorry about that. BSOD = blue screen of death. It was very prevalent back in the days of Windows 98. But then it was an ugly, scary screen. Now it's really polite with a sad face Smiley Sad and it gives you an error name and politely tells you that it will gather the info, then restart the computer for you (just for you! heh). Anyway, after I got the second one it just sat there and I had to force it off myself. When I turned it back on everything SEEMED to be ok (so far - fingers crossed).

dooB - Thanks for the info! Smiley Happy That's somewhat comforting. ITA that it's just a matter of time. This must be THE least stable website anywhere.

Honored Contributor

You're welcome, chickenbutt! There's a thread in Viewpoints, also, in which some of the error messages were causing concern about malware. I genuinely believe the problems this past week weren't malicious, didn't cause harm to anyone's computer.

But the constant technical mess on QVC.com (both the shopping site and the community forum site) is enough cause for alarm that I no longer keep personal or financial info saved in my account. I add it when I make a purchase and remove it after everything has processed.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova