Respected Contributor

QVC Smart Phone Customers - Would you Recommend Square Trade?

I'm thinking of buying the next smart phone TSV and was wondering if the Square Trade was worth it. I don't normally buy things like this, but I've never had a smart phone and was wondering if it's something I should consider.

I'm normally not very hard on my cell phones, as I'm not the type of person that has one glued to my ear constantly, so I'm not really worried about dropping it, etc. If there's other reasons why I should purchase the Square Trade agreement, please let me know.

Thanks!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Smart Phone Customers - Would you Recommend Square Trade?

I don't have a smart phone, but I HIGHLY recommend Square Trade. I've been purchasing extended warranties there for some ten years.

They have different ones and some, on this sort of thing, will cover things such as droppage, spillage, etc, in addition to just mechanical problems.

Their prices can't be beat and their service is just as good. I did a lot of research before I started using them.

I've had to call out the warranty on one thing - one of my laptops. That warranty was $60 VERY well spent. They sent me a packing box, packing materials, a shipping box, AND a paid FedEx label. They sent this by overnight. It didn't cost me a dime to send the laptop to them.

I followed the instructions and shipped it out. Within a week I had it back and it had gone from totally dead to working perfectly. It STILL works perfectly and this was almost 5 years ago!

Honored Contributor

I've never needed an extended warranty on my smart phones. I just upgraded after having my last phone for 4 1/2 years and it still works fine.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Topaz Gem said:

I'm thinking of buying the next smart phone TSV and was wondering if the Square Trade was worth it. I don't normally buy things like this, but I've never had a smart phone and was wondering if it's something I should consider.

I'm normally not very hard on my cell phones, as I'm not the type of person that has one glued to my ear constantly, so I'm not really worried about dropping it, etc. If there's other reasons why I should purchase the Square Trade agreement, please let me know.

Thanks!

Topaz Gem

I've had at least 8 different cell phones and haven't dropped one yet. Any type of insurance for me is a waste of money, especially when it comes to "almost throw-away" items. Haven't a clue what Square Trade is or does, just venturing a guess from what you've said in your post.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have had at least 15 years of cell phones and never needed any insurance on them. To me save your money that you would spend on a ""maybe""

Super Contributor

I've never used them. But I am not sure it would be needed for a cell phone. Of course, accidents happen, and it could drop and break or something. I suggest rather than investing in this for the phone, invest in a good well made cell phone case. Outterbox is a good name of cell phone cases. They say a car can drive over the phone in one of their cases and the phone it fine. Maybe something like this would cover you for any accidental drops or whatever. I also don't see a need for tech support with a cell phone. By the time anything might start going wrong with the inside stuff, you would have had more than enough use to justify the original cost. At that point, it's probably time for an upgrade because of new technology available, and I'd just buy the latest for a new one. Maybe if I were buying a computer I would think about an extended warrantee, not necessarily for a cell phone.
Respected Contributor

Thanks, everyone. You've given me some valuable feedback. The TSV isn't until next Tuesday, so I have plenty of time to make my decision. Smile

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

I'm really easy on my cell phones, but I have had one slip out of my hands once or twice while hurrying around.

I bought an OtterBox cell phone case to fit my iphone, so my one or two drops have been protected. I wouldn't own a cell phone without a top grade cell phone case.

I wouldn't buy insurance. I read the teeny tiny fine print and realized the hidden charges -- no thanks.

Respected Contributor

Square Trade has a good reputation. I've never bought insurance and am careful with my phone, as you are. Could you afford to replace your phone if something happened? Think about that.

Honored Contributor

OtterBox makes awesome cases! I also highly recommend them.