Respected Contributor

Problem with Contacts on iPhone

A friend of mine only has an iPhone and an older iPad.  I created a group in her contact list and she now wants to edit it.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to edit it.  You can't edit it through the contact app.  In fact, you can't pull up the group to look at it.

I think I created the group through the iCloud by signing into her iCloud account then synching her phone.  Does anyone know if this is what I need to do or is there something she can do on her devices? 

Super Contributor

Re: Problem with Contacts on iPhone

I'm pretty good with iphones, but this is beyond me. Have you tried googling it? I just did and saw a post on how to do it.

Honored Contributor

From Apple Knowledge Base...

Edit contacts on iPhone

In the Contacts app , assign a photo to a contact, change a label, add social profiles, and more.

1. Tap a contact, then tap Edit.

2. Do any of the following:

• Assign a photo to a contact: Tap “add photo.” You can take a photo or add one from the Photos app.

• Change a label: Tap the label and choose one from the list, or tap Add Field to create one of your own.

• Add your friends’ social profiles: Tap “add social profile.”

• Allow calls or texts from a contact to override Do Not Disturb: Tap Ringtone or Text Tone, then turn on Emergency Bypass.

3. When you’re finished, tap Done.

On models with Dual SIM, when you call or text a contact, iPhone uses the same line you used for your previous communication with this contact by default. To choose a preferred line for phone calls and SMS/MMS message conversations, select the contact, tap default (below the contact’s name), then choose a line.

To change how your contacts are sorted and displayed, go to Settings  > Contacts.

copy/paste link--->support.apple.com/guide/iphone/edit-contacts-iph89a9c71d8/ios

==========

Edit contacts on iPad

In the Contacts app , assign a photo to a contact, change a label, add social profiles, and more.

• Assign a photo to a contact: Tap “add photo.” You can take a photo or add one from the Photos app.

• Change a label: Tap the label and choose one from the list, or tap Add Field to create one of your own.

• Allow calls or texts from a contact to override Do Not Disturb: Tap Ringtone or Text Tone, then turn on Emergency Bypass.

To change how your contacts are sorted and displayed, go to Settings  > Contacts.

Helpful?

copy/paste link---> support.apple.com/guide/ipad/edit-contacts-ipad91801c48/ios

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

From Apple Knowledge Base...

Edit contacts on iPhone

On models with Dual SIM, when you call or text a contact, iPhone uses the same line you used for your previous communication with this contact by default. To choose a preferred line for phone calls and SMS/MMS message conversations, select the contact, tap default (below the contact’s name), then choose a line.

copy/paste link--->support.apple.com/guide/iphone/edit-contacts-iph89a9c71d8/ios

==========

Edit contacts on iPad

Helpful?

copy/paste link---> support.apple.com/guide/ipad/edit-contacts-ipad91801c48/ios

That's of no help since the group contact doesn't show up. Plus, she wants to add additional contacts/e-mails addresses to the group.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I may be wrong..but thought I read you can only edit a group if everyone in the group used an iPhone.  If there are people using other kinds of phones, it won’t let you edit.

I was trying to add a person to a group, and had no luck.  It’s a mix of iPhone and other phone users, though.

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

That's of no help since the group contact doesn't show up. Plus, she wants to add additional contacts/e-mails addresses to the group.  

Well, if you have not already done so, post in Apple Forums (iPad & iPhone) for detailed instructions.  Research Apple's Knowledgebase as well as Apple's YouTube support videos.

If either are still under warranty and/or have AppleCare, call them.

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 

On my devices  I open contacts, select groups on left top,  select desired group

on bottom with check mark, click done. This will show members of group. To add members, click on + (top right).

i am running iOS 12.4.1 on all my devices.

Respected Contributor

@Buster43 wrote:

@glb613 

On my devices  I open contacts, select groups on left top,  select desired group

on bottom with check mark, click done. This will show members of group. To add members, click on + (top right).

i am running iOS 12.4.1 on all my devices.

I'll send her this and see if it works.  Her iPad is so old, it can't be updated.  I think that is part of the problem.  If she can edit it on her phone, the iPad and iPhone  sould synch.