Highlighted
Contributor

I purchased the LG800g tracfone, which is my first cell phone. I used the computer to activate it, however, I eventually got to a screen that said another account was using my serial number -- and then a screen that said if your serial number does not appear above, "click here". I clicked, but nothing seemed to happen. So then I called their phone number, and went through the process with their computer (Don't know how to get to a real person). Anyway, in my mind, I have activated it twice. But my phone still says "activation required". I can't e-mail them, as tracfone phone number is a required field, and I don't have a phone number yet. What am I doing wrong here?

New Contributor

Re: Problem activating tracfone

I am experiencing a similar problem with an LG Ultimate 2 purchased from QVC.  The online activation didn't work.  tha automated call didn't work.  

After over a week, I just talked to someone at QVC (1-800-367-9444.)  I was advised to call Tracfone @ 1-800-867-7183 to actually activate the phone.  Somehow, this important piece of informaiton was missing from the activation instructions supplied with the phone.

Honored Contributor

@BDB wrote:

I am experiencing a similar problem with an LG Ultimate 2 purchased from QVC.  The online activation didn't work.  tha automated call didn't work.  

@After over a week, I just talked to someone at QVC (1-800-367-9444.)  I was advised to call Tracfone @ 1-800-867-7183 to actually activate the phone.  Somehow, this important piece of informaiton was missing from the activation instructions supplied with the phone.

That phone number is on the small, red leaflet that comes in the Tracfone packaging with every phone - the leaflet that gives you your serial number and instructions for activating your phone.  On the first page where it says "START HERE!" and then lists the instructions, right above the white box showing your serial number it says "Questions?  Visit TracFone.com or call 1-800-867-7183."

The leaflet is pretty detailed and it's important to follow all of the directions for activation, including the last step of dialling *22890 and wait for a confirmation message.

The last thing you have to do is make a call from your new phone, once you've gotten that message.

Honored Contributor

I also had trouble activating my phone online. I got a message I needed to call TracFone. I called the number and got it all straightened out.
Honored Contributor

I guess I was lucky because I had no trouble activating my TSV phone online. Because I had an old Trafone from 2011, I knew that red card was most important.

Honored Contributor

Many posters have said they had difficulty activating this phone. I'm glad I did not buy one. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Many posters have said they had difficulty activating this phone. I'm glad I did not buy one. 

Which phone are you talking about?  The OP mentioned buying the LG 800g which is a much older phone than the LG Ultimate 2 which was recently sold as a TSV.

I have had the LG 800g in the past and currently have the LG Ultimate 2.  I had no problem activating either one (or the phones I've had before and in between these two),  I did everything online and just followed the directions to the letter.

The LG Ultimate 2 is an excellent phone.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I guess I was lucky because I had no trouble activating my TSV phone online. Because I had an old Trafone from 2011, I knew that red card was most important.

Yes, lulu2, the red card is essential, as it has your phone's serial number on it and the directions for activating the phone.

Hope you're enjoying your phone!  Smiley Happy