Valued Contributor

When I got mine I didn't think they had the SSD.  I noticed it came out a few months after I got mine or at least when I was shopping I didn't see one.  My computer works fine for what I do and won't get another one unless this can't be fixed.  I'm going to try the air to see if that helps.  I always used a vacuum on it and it's worked for my computers over 10 years.  I did update again tonight and it's quieter but it did take out my color on my taskbar and that's strange.  I'll deal with that later.  Always something.

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

gardenman, I did check the CPU and it was high last night.  I just turned on my computer and it's about 50 but last night I did see jumps to 100. Malwarebytes seems to be about 25 on it.  I'm going to take that out and see if it goes down.  When you say to use some of air did you mean just through the vents or open the bottom of the computer. 

If you're talking about canned air, don't!  all that does is blow the dust and dirt into the case.  Get your vacuum and clear any dust from the vents. 

This problem is almost always caused by a program or malware.  I wouldn't be surprised to find you have 15-20 programs running in the background sucking the life out of your computer's performance.  Get CCLeaner and install.  Run a scan and delete what it finds.  Once that's done, go to tools (found on the left side), startup and either disable or delete everything but your antivirus or antimalware programs.  DON'T WORRY, this isn't deleting the programs.  It's only removing the programs from starting when your computer starts .  Restart and see how the computer runs.

This is something everyone should do whether you have a Windows or a Mac computer.  These programs, other than your antivirus/malware, running in the background are not necessary.  They drain your resources and decrease the performance. 

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

gardenman, I did check the CPU and it was high last night.  I just turned on my computer and it's about 50 but last night I did see jumps to 100. Malwarebytes seems to be about 25 on it.  I'm going to take that out and see if it goes down.  When you say to use some of air did you mean just through the vents or open the bottom of the computer. 

If in Task Manager your CPU usage is 50% or higher when the computer is essentially idling, then you've got bad stuff hogging your resources. My current build is four or five years old and used an older CPU at the time I built it and on idle it putters along at 3%-4%. The Processes tab in Task Manager is your friend. It'll show you what's using the resources and give you the option to stop that process. It won't remove the program or cause an unfixable issue, it simply stops that process. If the computer should become nonresponsive or crash, a simple reboot will have it back up and running.

I didn't recommend the compressed air for a laptop because like @glb613  mentioned, it just forces the bad stuff farther into the computer. On a desktop, it can be handy but on a laptop, it's not nearly as effective and can make a situation worse. The vacuum is your best bet for a laptop. Just get a strong vacuum (using the crevice tool on a vacuum can help increase suction) and go over every vent holding the vacuum hose over the opening for a few seconds or longer at each opening. If you're using the crevice tool, using your fingers to block the rest of the vent opening on smaller vents you're vacuuming can force the vacuum to pull more gunk out.

In general, when a computer overheats it's because the CPU is being asked to do too much. It can be airflow also, but more often than not it's something hogging the CPU resources that's causing the trouble. Task Manager can help you find that problem and fix it. A good cleaning never hurts anything either though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem With Fan

[ Edited ]

You'll need to remove the back cover. There should be some screws (mine has ten screws) holding it in place. After you remove the back cover then use the compressed air and blow it out. @kismet 

ETA- If you don't remove the cover then you'll end up just blowing dust and debris around inside the case if you shoot the air through the vents...don't do that.

Valued Contributor

I did get the can of air today but read yesterday that it can make things worse.  So far I haven't used it.  My daughter says she uses it all the time.  I did have ccleaner in my computer but took it out a few years ago.  I'm going to put it back in and run it.

Valued Contributor

I went to ccleaner and downloaded and noticed that avg went in with it.  I didn't download it and it loaded the same date.  I took Avg out.  I then went into tools and there are like 2 pages of items listed.  There is no disable there.  I would feel better disableing rather than deleting.   Is there anything else I can put the files in. I didn't run the health check don't know if that's important or not.

By the way I did update microsoft and that new update is what changed the color on my taskbar.  I did a search and there are many people angry that the update did that.  I just have my taskbar white and the rest is fine.  I tried to fix the taskbar but it doesn't work.  Maybe it will need a patch.  Thanks for telling me about the air.  In a search some said it only makes things worse. 

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I went to ccleaner and downloaded and noticed that avg went in with it.  I didn't download it and it loaded the same date.  I took Avg out.  I then went into tools and there are like 2 pages of items listed.  There is no disable there.  I would feel better disableing rather than deleting.   Is there anything else I can put the files in. I didn't run the health check don't know if that's important or not.

By the way I did update microsoft and that new update is what changed the color on my taskbar.  I did a search and there are many people angry that the update did that.  I just have my taskbar white and the rest is fine.  I tried to fix the taskbar but it doesn't work.  Maybe it will need a patch.  Thanks for telling me about the air.  In a search some said it only makes things worse. 

When you get into CCleaner, tools then startup, you are not deleting the programs!  All you are doing is preventing the programs from starting when your computer starts.  The only program(s) you need running in the background is your security software such as your anti-virus and anti-malware programs. 

CCleaner will uninstall programs so make sure you are in the startup section.  Please do yourself and your computer a favor and get these programs out of the startup group. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Problem With Fan

[ Edited ]

glb613, i went into the programs that run when i start the computer and don't see any security in there.  there are 7 listed and on the left they say yes.  so if i want to disable them do I highlight it and then go over to disable?  I have to leave in a few minutes so I'll be on later this afternoon.  I can send a list of the programs if that helps when I get home.

Honored Contributor

@kismet 

Did you remove the back cover? 

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

glb613, i went into the programs that run when i start the computer and don't see any security in there.  there are 7 listed and on the left they say yes.  so if i want to disable them do I highlight it and then go over to disable?  I have to leave in a few minutes so I'll be on later this afternoon.  I can send a list of the programs if that helps when I get home.

Post what is in your startup group and let's see what mjght be causing you problems.